Our Story

Ubuntu is a selective living group at Duke whose members are dedicated to civic engagement and social change. Our mission is to cultivate a sustained passion and interest in addressing the world’s most pressing issues, and to ingrain these characteristics in the consciousness of the typical Duke student.

Ubuntu was created in 2008 by a group of Duke students who envisioned a multi-dimensional residential experience. Ubuntu was meant to redefine the campus’s social culture, providing students with an alternative to the dominant living groups. It was more than a purely social organization however, and with its theme, took on the purpose of connecting students who share an interest in actively addressing global issues through civic engagement. Through a variety of avenues, from student discussions to faculty interactions, campus-wide events to group social programming, local community service to projects abroad, Ubuntu engages its members in a living experience that is, socially and intellectually, like no other.

We are civic-minded individuals interested in causes as diverse as education reform, food sustainability, environmental conservation, refugee ethics, health rights and so much more. We have members from diverse academic passions like engineering, public policy, pre-med, earth and ocean science, and program II. But what unites us is a passion to make a difference and a yearning to support each other through out.

2014 Slideshow

President Clinton discusses “Ubuntu”

President Obama’s Tribute to Nelson Mandala and the ideology of Ubuntu:

(Click me, I’m awesome!!!)

Connor Shannahan

connor-shannahan

Hi Everyone!

My name is Connor Shannahan. I’m a Junior studying Mechanical Engineering with an EOS minor. I grew up with three brothers just north of Chicago, so I’m a big Bulls fan and Cubs too when they’re not terrible. At Duke I’m mostly involved with Duke Motorsports. I spend a lot of my free time in the outdoors or doing anything basketball (intramural, pickup games, tenting). If I’m not doing any of those I’m probably marathoning lost for the 5th time, listening to music (alt/indie/folk rock, Kanye, or Chance) or playing some video games (Smash Bros/Rocket League). You can find me anywhere on campus trying to find hidden study spots. If you see a tall guy longboarding trying not to wipe out on Duke cobblestones that’s probably me. I rushed Ubuntu as a Sophomore and am still amazed by the passions and talents of the Ubuntu community that led me to rush in the first place. If you want to talk about Ubuntu, basketball, abroad (NZ), or engineering feel free to message me!