browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Market!

Posted by on July 5, 2016

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the weekly Saturday market in Dalyan last week. Upon arrival, I was overwhelmed— huge rows of tents and tables displayed a myriad of neon colors and signs. Salesmen approached me from all directions yelling prices and other irresistible deals. I made the mistake of expressing interest in a Kobe Bryant basketball jersey. Immediately a salesman jumped towards me and put the jersey on me before I could react. I was somewhat interested in the jersey and proceeded to see if I could lower it to a reasonable price. Initially the man asked how much I thought the item was worth. It was obvious that he was just trying to gauge my price range. So, I started low. “30 lira,” I said. The man looked astonished and scoffed—a well practiced act I am sure he used on every customer. “120 Lira,” he said. The game began. I immediately handed back the jersey and began to walk away. But, the man wouldn’t let me give the jersey back to him. He urged me to talk to him, and I could already sense his urgency for a customer. Now I had the upper hand. I kept walking, until he grabbed my arm, still urging me to stay and talk. I stopped for a split second to hear “60 lira. Final offer.” Wow, I was surprised. He had cut the price by 50% in a mere few seconds. However, I still felt like I could push the salesman a little more. I firmly held to my original offer of 30 lira. The man began to make a fuss, shouting, “60 lira is a great price!” Still I held to 30 lira. I walked away once again, as the man shouted lower and lower numbers. Until, “Fine 30 lira.” I couldn’t believe it. I felt a sense of victory! Then, I realized I hadn’t eaten all morning and was extremely hungry. So, I decided that I would rather spend the money on food and was soon snacking on bananas and Turkish delights.

At the market with Nina!

At the market with Nina!