browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Ancient Cities and Fancy Rocks

Posted by on June 26, 2016

It is so amazing and confounding to be in an area of the world with so many remnants of its history. Having spent the first 19 years of my life in the suburbs of Midwestern America, my exposure to local history extended just to our small – 2 room Native American museum consisting rarely of more than a few artifacts and mainly only of cheap souvenir moccasins and coloring books (Obviously this shows some insight on how much the Midwest prioritized Native American history). Even when traveling throughout the U.S., most historical sites are less than one hundred years old, with the most impressive artifacts all confined to museums. For this reason, I found it very special just to be standing by part of a two-thousand-year old building.

Yesterday we had one of the most amazing days on the trip so far. After working for almost a month straight- we were able to actually procure the entire day off for our full group of DukeEngage students. To take full advantage of this, our wonderful advisor Connie planned a day trip to the city of Denizli for us, where we would see ancient ruins, amazing carbonate hot springs and even have a chance at buying some Turkish towels. For me it was just dumbfounding that one city could have so many amazing things, and that we were able to successfully see them all in our limited time.

Pamukkale or “Cotton Castle” located right below ancient Hierapolis

The group getting breakfast on the way to Denizli

Denizli is unique in being situated between two ancient cities, Laodicea and Hierapolis. Both were founded in a similar time and underwent a great chain of rulers and communities throughout their histories. I will mainly focus on Laodicea, but Hierapolis has an equally interesting history, a big destination in ancient times for its baths and their medicinal properties.

“Syria Street” in the ancient city of Laodicea on the Lycus

Laodicea was the first place we visited when arriving in Denizli. After we had been walking around the ruins for a bit, we were very lucky to be let into a closed off section, the Laodicean Church. It’s amazing how much more powerful a ruin can become once you have learned more about it. This was curtesy of Nina’s social skills with a very kind Masters student from Pamukkale University excavating the ruins. Laodicea was one of the early locations of Christianity in Turkey. While I have never been religious myself, I have always found religion fascinating, and particularly seeing a sight that most of been at the very start of Christianity was impressive. Upon reading more up on Laodicea, I found that the reason that it was one of the first areas in Asia to take up Christianity was due to the transport of about 2000 Jewish families to the region by Antiochus the Great.

Seeing the Greek lettering and Christian Crosses scattered throughout these rocks was so distinctive in Modern day Turkey. The Republic of Turkey is now 98% Muslim, but the region of Anatolia has fostered so many different ethnic groups and societies throughout its age – many of which are still somewhat present. When we visited a museum in Hierapolis, we saw carvings of roman gods and coins in scripts representing many past cultures of Turkey. I was surprised that I recognized the design of a few of the coins, and realized that I had seen the Ottoman Turkish coinage before in my grandfather’s coin collection. I used to look over his coins 10 years ago, yet I never put the pieces together on what they were until now – halfway across the world in a small Turkish museum. There are so many markers of the past along the Aegean Coast. In a few weeks we hope to go to Ephesus, and see an even more extensive set of ruins. I have really valued these chances to see more of Turkey. Though Dalyan is a wonderful city, it is obvious that one can’t get a true understanding of Turkey’s rich past without a good amount of wandering.

IMG_1040 (1)

A carving from the Laodicean Church

Statue from Hierapolis

One Response to Ancient Cities and Fancy Rocks