Review of Jack A. Goldstone, Revolution and Rebellion in the Early Modern World (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991), in Contemporary Sociology, 21 (January 1992):8-10.
“Now Out of Never: The Element of Surprise in the East European Revolution of 1989,” World Politics, 44 (October 1991): 7-48. Abstract
- Reprint in Nancy Bermeo (ed.), Liberalization and Democratization(Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1992): 7- 48.
- Abridged reprint in Essential Readings in Comparative Politics, 4th ed., edited by Patrick O’Neill and Ronald Rogowski (New York: W. W. Norton, 2012), in press.
“The East European Revolution of 1989: Is It Surprising that We Were Surprised?” American Economic Review, 81 (May 1991): 121-125. Abstract
- Reprint in David Kennett and Mark Lieberman (eds.), The Road to Capitalism: Economic Transition in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union (San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1992): 332-338.
- Reprint in The Economics of Defence, ed. Keith Hartley and Todd Sandler (Cheltenham, United Kingdom: Edgar Elgar, 2000): 552-56.
“Sparks and Prairie Fires: A Theory of Unanticipated Political Revolution ,” Public Choice, 61 (April 1989): 41-74. Abstract
- Reprint in Ulrich Witt (ed.), Evolutionary Economics (Aldershot: Edward Elgar, 1993): 273-306.