“Further Reflections on the Behavioral Norms of Islamic Economics” [Reply to Shahid Ebrahim and Akram Safadi’s comment on article 4], Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 27 (June 1995): 159-163.
“Interest,” The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World , vol. 2 (New York: Oxford University Press, 1995): 205-207.
- Revised and updated: The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World , vol. 2 (New York: Oxford University Press, 2008).
M. Umer Chapra, Islam and the Economic Challenge (Leicester: Islamic Foundation, 1992), in Journal of Economic Literature, 31 (September 1993): 1484-1486.
“The Economic Impact of Islamic Fundamentalism,” in M. Marty and S. Appleby (eds.), Fundamentalisms and the State: Remaking Polities, Economies, and Militance (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1993): 302-341.
- Turkish translation (by Yasemin Tezgiden): “İslâmî Köktenciliğin Ekonomik Etkileri,” in Timur Kuran, İslâm’ın Ekonomik Yüzleri (İstanbul: İletişim, 2002): 13-71.
Ali Rahnema and Farhad Nomani, The Secular Miracle: Religion, Politics and Economic Policy in Iran London: Zed Books, 1990), in Journal of Islamic Studies, 3 (July 1992): 286-288.
Review of Özay Mehmet, Islamic Identity and Development: Studies of the Islamic Periphery (London: Routledge, 1990), in International Journal of Middle East Studies, 24 (February 1992): 137-140.
Review of Masudul Alam Choudhury, Islamic Economic Co-operation (New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1989), in Journal of Comparative Economics, 15 (June 1991): 395-398.
Reply to Muhammad Khan’s comment on article titled “On the Notion of Economic Justice in Islamic Economic Thought,” International Journal of Middle East Studies, 22 (August 1990): 376-377.
Review of Mohsin S. Khan and Abbas Mirakhor (eds.), Theoretical Studies in Islamic Banking and Finance (Houston: Institute of Research in Islamic Studies, 1987), in Journal of Comparative Economics, 13 (September 1989): 486-489.
“On the notion of economic justice in contemporary Islamic thought,” International Journal of Middle East Studies, 21 (May 1989): 171-191. Abstract
- Turkish translation (by Yasemin Tezgiden): “Çağdaş İslâm Düşününde Ekonomik Adalet Kavramı Üzerine,” in Timur Kuran, İslâm’ın Ekonomik Yüzleri (İstanbul: İletişim, 2002): 181-210.
- Slight revision: Islamic Economic Alternatives: Critical Perspectives and New Directions, ed. Jomo K. S. (ed.), (London: Macmillan Academic Press, 1992): 49-76.
- Slight revision: The Economic Dimensions of Middle Eastern History, ed. H. Esfandiari and A. Udovitch (Princeton: Darwin Press, 1990): 93- 121.
“Continuity and Change in Islamic Economic Thought,” in S. Todd Lowry (ed.),Pre- Classical Political Economy: From the Greeks to the Scottish Enlightenment(Boston: Kluwer Nijhoff, 1987): 103-113.
“Behavioral Norms in the Islamic Doctrine of Economics: A Critique,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization , 4 (December 1983): 353-379. Abstract