After participating in this module, students should understand the following:
1. The properties of a drug that define it as a weak acid or a weak base
2. What causes a weak acid to become charged or a weak base to become uncharged
3. The properties of a cell membrane and the drug that enable the drug to pass through the membrane
4. The basic anatomy of the circulatory system
5. How drugs distribute throughout the body.
6. The relationship between the rate at which a psychoactive drug enters the brain and its abuse potential
This module integrates information from the following areas: biology, chemistry, psychology, human behavior