Question: Are we forgetting how important water is?
Is God’s gift not good enough?
I have had some interesting conversations about water lately. As a Wellness Advocate, I have learned a lot about the importance of water for our physical health. Today I want to share a short reminder about why water is not only important for our health, but also why it is especially essential to us as healthy Christians.
Water is mentioned a total of 722 times in the Bible, more often than faith, hope, prayer, and worship. In the Bible, it doesn’t take long for water to be mentioned. Right away in Genesis 1:2, “The earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.” Water is such an essential component of life, it was created on the very first day.
In Revelations water is mentioned again, and it is almost the last words of the Bible. Revelations 22:17, “The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come.’ And let everyone who hears say, ‘Come.’ And let everyone who is thirsty come. Let anyone who wishes take the water of life as a gift.” Water flows throughout the scripture, and this should remind us of its importance…both spiritually and physically.
St. John Damascene summarized, “Water, then, is the most beautiful element and rich in usefulness, and purifies from all filth, and not only from the filth of the body but from that of the soul, if it should have received the grace of the Spirit”. (An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith– Book 2: Chapter 9). Water has the power to heal, as can be seen from the stories of Naaman – the Syrian cured from his leprosy in the waters of Jordan (2 Kings 5:1-14) and the annual miracles at Bethesda in Jerusalem (John 5:1-9). Water has the power to purify, to provide deliverance, and it can also destroy evil and enemies as in the stories of the Flood (Genesis 6:17) and the flight of Israel from Egypt (Exodus 14:1-15:21).
70 to 75% of the earth’s surface is covered with water. Roughly 70% of an adult’s body is made up of water, and about 85% of the adult brain is made up of water. Water is essential to life, and all living things need water to survive. So why do we as God’s children, sometimes take this gift…His gift of water for granted?
Jesus, the source of Living Water, extends an invitation to all who thirst. We take communion to remember His body…broken for you, and His blood… shed for you. We remember that water and blood poured from Jesus’ wound (John 19:34), while he was crucified. Water is given to us by Our Lord Almighty. Let us remember this, and honor His blessings daily. My father never drank water, and he spent the last 3 years of his life on kidney dialysis. My brothers and sisters, I challenge you to drink more water daily.
“O Christ, He is the fountain,
The deep, sweet well of love;
The streams on earth I’ve tasted
More deep I’ll drink above.
There to an ocean fullness
His mercy doth expand,
And glory, glory dwelleth
In Immanuel’s land.”
–Taken from Sam Rutherford & Anne R. Cousin’s hymn The Sands of Time Are Sinking
10 Reasons to Drink Water (from Allaboutwater.org)
1. Water is absolutely essential to the human body’s survival. A person can live for about a month without food but only about a week without water.
2. Water helps to maintain healthy body weight by increasing metabolism and regulating appetite.
3. Water leads to increased energy levels. The most common cause of daytime fatigue is actually mild dehydration.
4. Drinking adequate amounts of water can decrease the risk of certain types of cancers, including colon cancer, bladder cancer, and breast cancer.
5. For a majority of sufferers, drinking water can significantly reduce joint and/or back pain.
6. Water leads to overall greater health by flushing out wastes and bacteria that can cause disease.
7. Water can prevent and alleviate headaches.
8. Water naturally moisturizes skin and ensures proper cellular formation underneath layers of skin to give it a healthy, glowing appearance.
9. Water aids in the digestion process and prevents constipation.
10. Water is the primary mode of transportation for all nutrients in the body and is essential for proper circulation
- Water Your Body, and Drinking Water are two free App for Android users that remind you to drink water daily and also help keep track of your water drinking habits.
- “Unicef TAP Project” For every ten minutes you don’t touch your phone, UNICEF Tap Project donors and sponsors fund one day of clean water for a child in need. Take the Challenge and help provide a child in need with clean drinking water.
- How Much Do You Know About Hydration? Take the 15 question Water Quiz from WebMD.
First image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons via Creative Commons; second image is Christ of the Abyss at San Fruttuoso, courtesy of Wikipedia via Creative Commons
Personally, I think a lot of people just need to re-adjust to drinking water instead of soda. I know I was drinking just coffee and soda (Dr. Pepper still makes my mouth water) when my doctor pointed out to me how many calories I was drinking. I just kind of woke up one day and thought, enough was enough. I switched to black coffee and good ole water and dropped 15lbs like it was nobody business. Now I can’t fathom drinking soda like I used to and I have gotten to the point where I love the taste of our local tap water. My husband looks at me like I’m crazy but I’m addicted to the stuff lol.
Praise God for your testimony, Allison. We can CHANGE!
This was very inspirational, as I was praying this morning; I could see water being poured out into a glass, a full glass of water.
Great text, one of the things I think is important is what water is. There is enough hydrogen in a glass of water to blow up a city coupled with oxygen that makes things burn. And it’s stable. What more does anyone need to believe Gods exist. Jesus was there in the beginning and nothing was created without him Jesus holds the atoms together. Wow think that over. Blessings
Most of the water we get is dead. There are some good documentaries about water you can find on YouTube one is called water the great mystery and another is water has memory
I think water is so extremely significant that it’s God’s secret ingredient more than just in the Physical context. Jesus said you must First be born of water. Then you can be born again of the Spirit… when I read that I was truly blown away. Jesus knew the significant of water. He says it right there. He truly is the Lord of all Lord’s. Thank you Father. Thank you Jesus.
The Bible says that we are washed by the water of the Word. I really appreciated reading your article. 🙂
I don’t know what reasons they had to say that water is life, but I can definitely agree with that. Apart from physical needs of water and being nourished by water how about we consider the spiritual part of it? Why is it that the bible keeps talking about thirst among those who desire to know God? Find the scriptures and meditate upon it, there’s something for you to learn.
Very educating content. Thanks!