Everybody Is A Genius

Share

This quote has been circulating around facebook recently.

einstein

It got me thinking about what we teach in the Spirited Life program about self-compassion. We take great pains to explain that self-compassion isn’t about having no standards, or giving yourself license to behave badly, but about seeing yourself the way God sees you. I wonder if this quote is getting at a deeper truth along the same lines. We all know that we are called to refrain from judging other people, but we are reticent to give up judging ourselves. But what is the standard by which we judge ourselves? If I am judging myself by my ability to be someone other than who God created me to be, I will live my whole life believing that I am stupid, or ineffectual, or unworthy of love.  And isn’t that implicitly saying to God,” The person you created me to be isn’t good enough?” What if we actually believed that everyone is a genius, in the sense that everyone is created in the image of God, including ourselves?  Would we live differently?

Caren Swanson

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged by Caren Swanson. Bookmark the permalink.

About Caren Swanson

Caren is a former Wellness Advocate with Spirited Life who hails from a small town in the hills of NH, but currently lives in Durham, NC with her family. She enjoys growing, picking and arranging flowers, climbing the magnolia trees in Duke Gardens with her daughter Clara, and hosting potlucks with friends and neighbors.