My academic Writing Survival Guide

It would be bold to claim that I have discovered many of the tools to successful academic writing at the college level, but in the four months I spent writing on documentary, I like to think I learned three valuable resources to help me get through the rest of my writing career here.

1. Use the Library
    1. The Building Itself

i.     Study rooms are stuffy and dorm rooms provide too many distractions; the library is a great place to hunker down and grind out some work. I even found out during exam time that they occasionally give free hot chocolate and refreshments as a “study break.”

1. The Staff

i.     Both on East and West, the library staff’s main goal is to help you get any materials you need to write a successful paper. I once had a librarian work with me for twenty minutes trying to find a copy of a DVD lost in the stacks. Looking for research materials can be overwhelming and discouraging; never be afraid to ask a librarian for help.

1. Utilize Draft Opportunities
    1. Multiple times this semester we were given the chance to meet with our professor to discuss and go over a rough draft. Sometimes we even got to meet with her twice before handing in the final product. Under these circumstances, there is no excuse for submitting a sub-par assignment. If you don’t make a full draft for each meeting, you are cheating yourself. Never reject a chance to hear professional feedback on your work.
    2. Have a friend proofread your writing.

i.     You know what you’re trying to say, but maybe others don’t. Having a friend read your writing aloud can point out inconsistencies in flow and grammar otherwise undetectable to your eyes/ears. Of course you should offer to proof-read their work in return.

1. Don’t go Insane
    1. We have a disgusting amount of free time in college. Still, don’t be fooled, work will pile up on you if you don’t take care of it little by little. Space out your studying. Try not to spend more than two hours in the library at a time. If you’re feeling like you’re loosing concentration, take a break. Eat a meal, play some videogames, watch TV, or go for a run. Specifically the exercising option will give you a sense of accomplishment so that you know while you’re not studying you’re still getting things done. Set up rewards for yourself for once you do a significant amount of work. Go out to dinner with a friend or go out partying. Having a light at the end of the tunnel is sometimes all you need.

So that’s about all I’ve got. I like to think I made it through this semester keeping a respectable caliber of work while still keeping my head above the waves in terms of sanity. Thanks for a great semester!