Based on the questions they consider in the case study at the beginning of this unit, students are commissioned to develop a resource about HIV/AIDS for a secondary school in Africa.
Part 1: The students should work together in groups to collect the following information:
- What information do their peers abroad already know about HIV/AIDS?
- What are the most important things for someone living in a HIV-prevalent country to know to prevent infection
- What are common myths about HIV/AIDS that might need to be debunked?
Ideally each answer should be about a paragraph, with sources listed.
Part 2: Students create informational brochures, posters, etc.
Using their answers from Part I, students compose a pamphlet about HIV/AIDS. Among the things they should consider in the design are:
- How would the information be best organized?
- What design would likely catch the attention of a reader?
- How might the information be distributed?