- R – Statistical Software
- R for Mac OS X Developer’s Page Simon Urbanek’s nightly R builds for OS X; updated versions of gfortran and GTK for OS X
- WinBUGS – Bayesian inference Using Gibbs Sampling BUGS for Windows. Can be used on a Mac via wine. I have written down some instructions here .
- OpenBUGS – Bayesian inference Using Gibbs Sampling Open source variant of WinBUGS.
- JAGS – Just Another Gibbs Sampler
Alternative to WinBugs written in C++. Runs natively on Mac, Linux and Windows. Also contains rjags to call JAGS from within R.
- Mactex – a Latex distribution for OS X Based on TexLive 2010
- Octave – Matrix algebra package Runs most Matlab code with minor modifications
- Maxima – CAS Fork of MIT’s MACSYMA and predecessor of Maple and Mathematica. Less polished than those two, but with nice integration in Emacs. I have written down instructions how to set it up with Aquamacs here