Submission Requirements and Procedures
The Sanford Journal’s online edition seeks submissions that address issues relevant to today’s policy challenges from students, faculty, and policy practitioners. The submission should be in the form of a news article, op-ed, interview, book review, report summary, or other brief write-up.
We accept submissions sent by email to SJPP@duke.edu.
For submissions information to our print edition, please see our print journal submissions page.
Website Submissions Guidelines
Please ensure your article meets the following guidelines before you submit:
- Your article should include a title of no more than 10 words.
- The article should be between 200 to 600 words, and should clearly explain the key issues addressed.
- Include accompanying images, tables or graphics necessary to help illustrate the article. Images must be accompanied with links to back to their original source.
- Links to source material and references must also be included.
- The submission should be in .doc or .docx file format.
- Include a short biographical statement (no more than 100 words) with your submission.
Sanford Journal staff will select submissions based on the following criteria. Submissions should:
- Address relevant and timely policy challenges
- Provide original perspectives or innovative solutions
- Contribute to the policy discourse
- Convey ideas in a well-written, convincing style
Revision, Editing, and Publication
Articles that meet the criteria outlined above will be reviewed and edited by a staff editor. Authors should anticipate a few rounds of editing and revisions prior to publication, including one-on-one work with a student editor and content recommendations. Accepted articles will be published on the SJPP website.
For further questions pertaining to submission guidelines or about the Sanford Journal, please contact SJPP@duke.edu.