Dance with me

Many of my conversations with my community partner focused not on his medical conditions but on his relationship with his late wife, from their first meeting to her diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer’s to mourning her death to falling in love for the first time since her passing. Last we spoke, he had fallen in love again and had reached a place where he could cherish the life he had built with his wife and also commit himself to his new partner without guilt or reservations. This portrait is a tribute to the memories of my community partner and his late wife, be them joyful, painful, or slipping away.

About the Artist: Isa DeLaura

I love good food, coffee, hiking, and weight lifting. I try to spend as much time as possible with friends and family too. Since starting medical school, I’ve got interested in art–particularly sketching and digital art–during our anatomy unit, and with quarantine have had more time to explore this interest. Participating in SCOPES allowed me to use art as a way to reflect on what matters most to my patient.