It’s hard to find good resources on the biotech and pharmaceutical industry, perhaps because the industry changes quickly and materials become out of date. Here is my attempt at sharing some resources I’ve found. Please feel free to contact me with additions or subtractions to this page.
- Oxford Handbook of the Economics of the Biopharmaceutical Industry
- There are many Health Economics textbooks in the Duke library, including a book by Duke University’s Frank Sloan
Web pages and white papers
- Glossary. Source: CMS
- BioPharmaceutical Spotlight. Source: U.S. Department of Commerce
- IQVIA Institute for Human Data Science Reports. Source: IQVIA (a data vendor)
- Pharmaceutical Industry Profile. Source: PhRMA (an industry trade group)
- BIO Industry Analysis. Source: BIO (an industry trade group).
- Public Citizen and Knowledge Ecology International. Source: consumer advocates focused on access, marketing, and safety
- Overview of the Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Benefit. Source: Kaiser Family Foundation
- Drug Channels. Source: Adam Fein
- Neeraj Sood et al.The Flow of Money Through the Pharmaceutical Distribution System. USC. 2017. Appendix
- Darius Lakdawalla. Economics of the Pharmaceutical Industry. Journal of Economic Literature. 2018
- My research on biotech and pharmaceutical innovation and pricing
- Fierce Pharma
- Stat News
- Follow the Duke Margolis Health Policy Center (@DukeMargolis) on Twitter
- Follow me (@dave_ridley) on Twitter
- I teach a 3-day online executive education course called “Drug Development, Reimbursement, & Regulation” which is available to Duke alumni and other professionals.
Drug development and intellectual property timeline