Research Vouchers Program
APPLICATIONS CLOSED FOR JULY 2021 FUNDING
The theme for the Duke Center for Research to Advance Healthcare Equity is to address racial and ethnic disparities in health by developing and testing interventions that improve the quality of patient-centered care in the clinical encounter – a setting in which racial and ethnic disparities are well-documented.
REACH Equity Research Vouchers Program will supplement currently funded research, or support standalone research projects conducted by faculty at any level and broadly related to the REACH Equity Center theme.
Proposals may include any research method (qualitative, quantitative, etc.) and may include any diagnosis, clinical setting, stage of illness, or age group. However, the proposed research should clearly focus on issues related to addressing racial and ethnic disparities or improving health of underrepresented racial and ethnic populations in the clinical setting.
We encourage applications from both experienced disparities investigators and those who have not previously conducted health disparities research. We plan to fund one year awards of up to $12,500 each.
Examples of responsive proposals include but are not limited to:
- Addition of an aim to a current project which focuses on issues related to REACH Equity theme (see above)
- Additional participant enrollment in existing studies to create a more diverse population which facilitates an aim related to REACH Equity theme
- Small primary data collection project (e.g., a survey of patients and providers related to racial disparities or underrepresented racial and ethnic populations health in the clinical setting; a chart review to identify factors related to disparities in outcomes)
- Secondary data analyses related to racial and ethnic health disparities or health in the clinical setting
- Analyses of Duke Health System data to explore causes and solutions of racial/ethnic disparities in the clinical encounter
- Pilot testing of a Maestro application or other intervention to address racial/ethnic disparities in the clinical encounter
In developing the research proposal, applicants are strongly advised to consult the REACH Equity conceptual model here: REACH Conceptual Model. In addition, the REACH Table shows research examples related to REACH Equity’s Conceptual Model.
Both the Conceptual Model and the Table provide information on targets for intervention and outcomes of interest; however, these examples are meant to be illustrative only, and do not define the full range of potentially responsive projects.
If you have questions about these awards or about alignment of your research question with the RFA, please contact Cheryl Miller (email@example.com) to schedule a call with REACH Equity faculty.
Information for Applicants
- Any investigator of any academic rank with a full-time faculty appointment at Duke
- No exclusions based on current or prior funding
- No exclusion based on prior health disparities research experience
Applications: No more than 3 pages in length for proposal (excluding NIH Biosketch and other application requirements listed below) and include:
- Background and rationale for project
- Objectives and methods, including statistical plan
- Relationship to REACH Equity theme
- Anticipated next steps (future funding, intervention, etc.)
- Timeline and funding period: One year
In addition to the research proposal, other application requirements (not included in 3 page limit):
- Budget of up to $12,500 and narrative justification for each budget item. Funds may be used for research personnel, research supplies, or statistical support. Submit on PHS Budget Form 2590, Form Page 2 and 3 – available here: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/2590/2590.htm
- NIH Biosketch
Additional Requirements and Opportunities for Funded Applications
Applicants who are funded as part of REACH Equity Voucher Program are expected to:
- Participate in REACH Equity activities to the extent possible—(Research Works in Progress (RWIP) seminars, REACH Equity annual colloquium)
- Provide 6 month progress and final report of study activities
- In addition, REACH Equity voucher recipients are invited to participate in the Health Disparities Research Curriculum
- Research plan
- Relationship to REACH Equity theme
- Timeline feasibility
- Potential impact
- Application opens: January 12, 2021
- Application submission deadline: 5:00pm, March 15, 2021
- Funding announcement: Late May
- Funding begins: July 2021
Prior to beginning an application, please closely review the application requirements as detailed above.
The application deadline is 5:00pm, Monday, March 15, 2021.
The REACH Equity Award uses MyResearchProposal online application submission platform:
To apply, visit http://bit.ly/myresearchproposal, click on “Create New User” (or log in if you have an account). Proposals must be submitted under the Principal Investigator’s name.
Enter Access Code “DOM” then select the “REACH Equity Research Vouchers Program 2021” process/funding opportunity and follow the instructions.
- Call for Research Project: REACH Equity Center Renewal
- Career Development Awards Program
- Research Scholars Development Program
- Research Vouchers Program
- Transdisciplinary Think Tank Program