Applications Closed for FY 2019 Funding. Next RFA will be issued in early 2020.
The theme for the REACH Equity center is to address racial and ethnic disparities in health by developing and testing interventions that improve the quality of patient-centered care in the clinical encounter – a setting in which racial and ethnic disparities are well-documented.
REACH Equity Research Vouchers Program will supplement currently funded research, or support standalone research projects conducted by faculty at any level and broadly related to the REACH Equity theme.
Proposals may include any research method (qualitative, quantitative, etc.) and may include any diagnosis, clinical setting, stage of illness, or age group. However, the proposed research should clearly focus on issues related to addressing racial and ethnic disparities or improving health of underrepresented racial and ethnic populations in the clinical setting.
We encourage applications from both experienced disparities investigators and those who have not previously conducted health disparities research. We plan to fund one year awards of up to $12,500 each.
Examples of responsive proposals include but are not limited to:
- Addition of an aim to a current project which focuses on issues related to REACH Equity theme (see above)
- Additional participant enrollment in existing studies to create a more diverse population which facilitates an aim related to REACH Equity theme
- Small primary data collection project (e.g., a survey of patients and providers related to racial disparities or underrepresented racial and ethnic populations health in the clinical setting; a chart review to identify factors related to disparities in outcomes)
- Secondary data analyses related to racial and ethnic health disparities or health in the clinical setting
- Analyses of Duke Health System data to explore causes and solutions of racial/ethnic disparities in the clinical encounter
- Pilot testing of a Maestro application or other intervention to address racial/ethnic disparities in the clinical encounter
Both the Conceptual Model and the Table provide information on targets for intervention and outcomes of interest; however, these examples are meant to be illustrative only, and do not define the full range of potentially responsive projects.
In addition, while informative, many of the examples as described in the Table will exceed the size and scope of projects funded under this RFA. Click here for more information about currently funded REACH Equity projects.
If you have questions about these awards or about alignment of your research question with the RFA, please contact Cheryl Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a call with REACH Equity faculty.
Information for Applicants
- Any investigator of any academic rank with a full-time faculty appointment at Duke
- No exclusions based on current or prior funding
- No exclusion based on prior health disparities research experience
Applications should be no more than 3 pages in length (excluding NIH Biosketch) and include:
- Background and rationale for project
- Objectives and methods
- Relationship to REACH Equity theme
- Anticipated next steps (future funding, intervention, etc.)
- Timeline and funding period: One year
In addition to the research proposal, applications should include:
- Budget of up to $12,500 and justification for each budget item. Funds may be used for personnel or research supplies – please submit on PHS Budget Form 2590 – available here: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/2590/2590.htm
- NIH Biosketch
Additional Requirements and Opportunities for Funded Applications
Applicants who are funded as part of REACH Equity Voucher Program are expected to:
- Participate in REACH Equity activities to the extent possible—(Research Works in Progress (RWIP) seminars, REACH Equity annual colloquium)
- Provide 6 month progress and final report of study activities
- In addition, REACH Equity voucher recipients are invited to participate in the Health Disparities Research Curriculum
- Research plan
- Relationship to REACH Equity theme
- Timeline feasibility
- Potential impact
- Application opens: Early 2020
- Application submission deadline: TBA
- Funding announcement: TBA
- Funding begins: July 2020
Prior to beginning an application, please closely review the application requirements as detailed above.
The application deadline is 11:59pm on September 3, 2018.
The REACH Equity Award uses MyResearchProposal online submission system:
To apply, visit http://bit.ly/myresearchproposal, click on “Create New User” (or log in if you have an account). Proposals must be submitted under the Principal Investigator’s name.
Enter Access Code “DOM” then select the “REACH Equity Research Vouchers Program 2018” funding opportunity and follow the instructions.