Wowwww! What a journey! This show has been an awesome culmination of my Duke theater experience. It was such a big, daunting task that I was unsure it would ever be fulfilled (at least not to the magnitude that it was). However, the play was super successful because of the hard work of everyone involved. I felt a connection to everyone that had a hand in the success of Ragtime. We were joined in a way. When one person was off, we all felt it. We all knew when our performance was awesome or subpar, and I think that is the mark of a TRUE ensemble.

I was very proud to be a part of this show. I think I was most proud when Manny Azenberg and Professor Wolf had such high accolades for the show. It really made me beam when such high theatre professionals had positive things to say about our show. I do not think I have ever felt so close to a production. I was offended when someone had something bad to say about it, and I felt the need to defend every negative thing that someone may have uttered. This show made me realize the importance of ensemble work.

I am glad that Duke students had the opportunity to see a show with such a message. We are an eclectic group of people with different views, beliefs, and upbringings. These issues are still very prevalent today, and it is great that Ragtime was shown during such trying times (Trayvon Martin case for example). Ragtime could help start the conversation for further discussion.

All in all, if you haven’t gotten it yet, I LOVED RAGTIME!!! I am so sad it is over, but it will impact me for the rest of my life.

Shop time: Strike hours