The audience’s reaction seemed to change every night, which is the case for most show but it seemed pretty drastic. Either the audience would be what seemed engaged (i.e. laughing, etc.) or would seem completely dead to what was happening on stage. At least that was what I though until after the first Saturday matinee when one of my friends who I thought looked to be so bored when I looked out into the audience came up to me and told me how good the show was and about what their favorite parts were. That’s when a realized that you honestly cannot gage how involved or engaged and audience is with what’s happening on the stage by how much they gasp or laugh. For me that was almost a wake up, I realized that I couldn’t turn off because the audience didn’t seem to be watching, they are always watching. That is definitely something that I will take with me through out my years of theatre here.

This was the second time I was involved in a production of Ragtime. And that very first time I did it, at the end of that era, I had bawled like a baby. And for those of you who know, as I always say, I never cry in public, so it was a big deal. I was so positive that nothing could touch the memories that I made during that production. And, as you can probably guess, I’ve been proven wrong. While, I did not cry like a baby at the end of this production, I was left with an entirely different set of emotions. I was happy, so happy because despite the fact that it is the end of the era of Ragtime, it is just the beginning of my theatrical and academic journey hear at Duke. I now have 3 or so years to experience and cherish and have fun with the friendships that I’ve created here. The show Ragtime will always be special to me for that very reason. It ended an era of high school theatre for me and it opened doors and began a new era of theatre and friends and memories.