The closing of a show is always a little bittersweet, though I must say, immediately following the last show there is very little that is “sweet” about it.  After the final show, when you are emotionally, physically, and mentally drained, you don’t go home – you strike the set.  This time-honored tradition is both loathed and necessary.  At the end of the day, the magic must come to an end; we who were once the makers of dreams now must confront the reality and tear those hopes apart.  This set, however, was especially large (the reason we will not be reassembling it to put on a final performance during graduation), and perhaps more dreaded than usual.

Once the strike was over, and I had made a dent in the homework which had piled up during the craziness of tech and show weeks, I finally found that I had time to reflect on the show.  What this revealed to me, however, was that it is all still too fresh in my mind for me to really grasp just what we accomplished.  Ragtime has almost a dream-like quality in my mind, and I still find it difficult to realize just what I was a part of.  One thing that I remain certain of, however, is that the friendships which were cultured during those long practices will stand the test of time.  This show was unique in bringing together a diverse array of people; just as the arc which transpired in the musical, I found that we were able to overcome the social boundaries that can sometimes divide people at Duke.  I made some fantastic friends, unforgettable memories, and some very epic plans for future mani-pedis and kick-back 90’s nights.  So I would like to use my final blog post to simply say: Thank you for being my friends.  Thank you, each and every person I encountered, for being yourself and unafraid to meet someone new.  Thanks for making the show magical to me, even after the set had come down.

For shop hours, I tabled for two hours on the plaza and did approximately 4 hours of set strike.