Duke University Health Systems Department of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Sports Physical Therapist Fellowship is the first credentialed APTA post-professional sports fellowship program in the nation for physical therapists and began its inaugural year in 1999. This is a 12 month program which begins August 1st. of each year.
The mission of the fellowship is to provide an in depth experience in the sports medicine management of athletes. This is highlighted by the daily management of the defined subspecialty, Intercollegiate Division I Athletics.
Dynamic sports medicine experiences range from “on the field management,” clinic rehabilitation and educational opportunities with the sports medicine team with access to state of the art facilities. The Duke Sports Medicine Outpatient Orthopaedic Clinic provides additional opportunities to train in one of the nation’s premier sport rehab centers.
Overview of Curriculum
- Practice/game coverage and rehabilitation for Duke intercollegiate athletics
- Direct 1:1 clinical mentoring in sports medicine services
- Research opportunities and conference presentations
- Weekly Conference and Duke Radiology Conference
- Team Physician Clinic Observation
- Didactic Programs
- Surgical Observations with Attending Team Physicians
- Weekly Arthroscopy Cadaver Lab
- Curriculum vitae
- Candidates must be a PT/ATC and or board certified and or have successfully completed a residency in sports medicine.
- Essay describing reasons for applying to the Fellowship Program.
- Provide official copies of college transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendations.
- Selected candidates will be invited for a campus interview with the Fellowship Faculty before final selection is made.
We offer a competitive salary and full benefits. Benefits include health, dental, malpractice, sick leave, 3 weeks vacation, and continuing education allowance.
Bob Bruzga, PT, OCS, ATC, LAT,COMT
Ann Marie Husk, PT, SCS, ATC, LAT, CSCS
Kerry Mullenix, MPT, ATC, LAT,SCS
The sports physical therapist fellow will interact with: board certified orthopedic and sports physical therapists, certified athletic trainers, dual-credentialed PT/ATC’s, and sports medicine specialists from orthopedic surgery, radiology, primary care, exercise physiology and nutrition.
Mail together completed application, essays, transcripts, recommendations and twenty-five dollar application fee made out to the Duke Department of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy in one envelope to the following address:
Daniel Dore, PT, DPT, MPA
Sports Therapy Fellowship
Department of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710
Telephone: (919) 684-1844
Completed Application Packets must be received by December 1, 2018
For the August 1, 2019-July 31, 2020 fellowship
For additional information: APTA Ortho/Sports/Education Clinical Residency & Fellowship Credentialing