The one year residency in cardiovascular and pulmonary physical therapy is very unique and exciting at Duke. Duke University Health System is providing some of the most interesting medical interventions which afford our residents access to working with patients associated with these higher level interventions.
This includes working closely with:
- Heart and lung transplantation
- Ventricular assist devices
- Ambulating patients on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
- Exercising patients with a femoral intra-aortic balloon pump and ambulating patients with an axillary intra-aortic balloon pump
- Early mobility interventions with patients on ventilators.
- Chest PT in the hyperbaric chamber
Duke offers two settings, both traditional inpatient acute care and outpatient rehabilitation:
- Inpatient setting with two months in each area:
- Cardiology and cardiac ICU
- Pulmonology and medical ICU
- Cardiothoracic step down and ICU.
- Outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation with two months in each area:
- Pre and post lung transplantation
- Medical pulmonary diagnoses
- Heart failure
This unique experience of both inpatient and outpatient affords our residents a unique view of many cardiopulmonary diagnoses across settings. Finally, Duke is a part of many research studies, including nation-wide and multi-center research projects. Our residents work closely with research teams to complete the required research component needed to sit for the specialty exam.
Mail together completed application, essays, transcripts, recommendations and twenty-five dollar application fee made out to the Duke Department of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy in one envelope to the following address:
Daniel Dore, PT, DPT, MPA
Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Residency
Department of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC 27710
Telephone: (919) 684-1844
Completed Application Packets must be received by December 1, 2019
For the August 1, 2020-July 31, 2021 Residency