Frequently Asked Questions

1. If I do not have a valid driver’s license, can I participate in the clinical driving evaluation?
The clinical portion of the evaluation looks at all the skills important for driving; thinking, vision, physical skills and reaction times. If a client successfully passes the clinical driving evaluation, they must contact their local Department of Motor Vehicles to proceed with the process of obtaining or restoring driving privileges.

2. Will the clinical driving evaluation be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles?
If you have already received medical forms from DMV requesting that you have a driving evaluation then the report will be faxed back to DMV and your referring physician. If your physician is requesting that you come for the clinical driving evaluation, then the report will be faxed back to your physician.

3. Will my insurance cover the cost of the driving evaluation?
Most insurances and Medicare will cover all or a portion of the clinical driving evaluation, depending on the policy. The behind the wheel evaluation is not covered by any insurance. A receipt will be issued by the driving instructor for tax purposes.

4. I’m not sure if I am able to drive safely anymore, should I proceed with the driving evaluation?
A comprehensive evaluation of physical, cognitive, vision skills and reaction times will be performed. The results will be discussed with the client during the evaluation with recommendations for remedial techniques, optimal driving conditions and/or community mobility options.

5. I have lost the use of my right arm and leg, can I still drive?
The clinical driving evaluation will look at physical abilities to drive as well as thinking skills and reaction times. Frequently, after an illness or injury, a person’s ability to respond in a timely manner may be affected. After the evaluation, recommendations will be made for adaptive equipment. Assistance will be provided to set up training sessions in a vehicle equipped with the recommended adaptive controls. These training sessions will be required to learn how to operate the equipment in real life situations. We work closely with local vendors for the purchase and installation of recommended equipment.