Day 64: July 22

It is 10:50 PM in Cusco. This will (likely) be my last post from Peru until I arrive in Nashville on Sunday.

Today I woke up, ate my normal breakfast, showered, and watched the 2015 Final Four games before I headed over to the SIT office for our last reflection session. In the reflection session, we talked about what we would miss most about Peru (I said Baruna, my loyal host dog), what we would miss the least about Peru (I said the thin air that was hard to breathe), and we gave a general review of the program. We also were asked how this program has changed us. For one, I definitely do not take my family for granted anymore. Also, my mind was opened to a completely new world, especially the hard world of the kids at Huacarpay. I think this experience will make me more grounded. We celebrated with cake and said goodbye to the SIT office.

I returned home to lunch and managed some of the fantasy Premier Leagues that I will be starting this fall. Then, I went on my last run in Cusco. I’ll miss the route I take and going into the store to buy my Gatorade. I certainly will not miss the thin air. It makes it hard to run. It’s not the most fun. Before we left for the farewell dinner, Marianela helped me clean my room one last time. I really appreciate her and all she has done for me. It will be hard to say goodbye tomorrow.

Then, we went to our farewell dinner at a restaurant in the Plaza de Armas. Marianela and Daniela came, as well as Delia and Norma from Huacarpay. Delia gave Melanie and me very sweet cards that I’ll be sure to keep. The dinner was a buffet-style meal, but it was still pretty good. I enjoyed it. There was a live band there and, as I was standing to greet one of Daniela’s friends, one of the dancers thought I had volunteered to go up and dance and swooped in and took me center stage. We salsa danced. I dance poorly, but I actually think I held my own this time. It was a lot of fun. I’ll never forget tonight.

Tomorrow I say goodbye to Cusco. It will certainly be hard to say goodbye to my host family and Baruna, but I do think the time is right for me to come home. I’m ready. I’ll miss it here.

About Davis Lovvorn

Davis Lovvorn is a senior at Duke University from Nashville, TN. He will be a corps member for Teach for America in Charlotte, NC after he graduates in May 2018. An avid sports fan, Davis is a member of the Duke University Marching and Pep Band, where he religiously follows Duke's basketball and football teams. He is also a social media administrator for Wolves USA, the American supporters group for Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.

3 Responses to Day 64: July 22

1. Belle Toren says:

It is hard for us all to say good bye to your daily runs, meals, Cusco family, Barunda and Huacarpay. Use this experience as a measure in life – looking back on it will bring you back to earth when stressed or overwhelmed by the demands of life in the USA. Safe flights home.

2. Noel Bearden says:

Hi dear one , we cannot wait to see you !!! Maybe , you and your family can
    have dinner with us next week . I will talk to your parents and try to make a
    plan that suits everyone . We are very proud of you !!! Love you so much ,
    Noelly and DG