The night before

It is 8:53 PM in Nashville, TN, on May 18, 2016. I am currently sitting on the kitchen counter watching Game 2 of the NBA Western Conference Finals (Golden State is up just a few points @Riya). My stuff is packed, my 6 AM alarm is set, and I’m ready to go. I’m not going to lie, though. I’m exceptionally nervous. Although I have undertaken a similar experience before (a trip to Costa Rica through EIL for a month four years ago), I know this experience will be different. I’m nervous about my knowledge of Spanish. I’m nervous about making a good impression with my homestay family. I’m nervous about missing my family. I’m nervous about the long sequence of flights tomorrow. I’m nervous I may forget to update this blog. I’m nervous about our proyectos sociales we will be undertaking. And I’m also nervous about the altitude.

However, I know I’m in good hands. My group whom I met at the DukeEngage Academy a week ago seems like an excellent group of kids. Our guide, Alex, seems like a caring, knowledgeable man. I know I’ll be fine. As I prepare to go to bed, I’ll say my final goodbyes to my aging yet ever loyal dog, Fritz; my brother, Carter, who had his last day of high school today; and my parents, who continually sacrifice everything for my brother and me. So on I go. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me.

About Davis Lovvorn

Davis Lovvorn is a senior at Duke University from Nashville, TN. He will be a corps member for Teach for America in Charlotte, NC after he graduates in May 2018. An avid sports fan, Davis is a member of the Duke University Marching and Pep Band, where he religiously follows Duke's basketball and football teams. He is also a social media administrator for Wolves USA, the American supporters group for Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.