Duke offers a number of professional development opportunities and resources for graduate students and postdocs alike, whether they plan to pursue a career in or outside of academia. Additionally, there are are a number of resources to support them during their time at Duke (e.g., responsible conduct of research training, teaching training, and writing support). For a comprehensive listing of available resources, check out the Graduate School site on this topic. New resources are constantly being added. If you have an idea for a workshop/event geared towards professional development, you can apply for a grant to support your program.
The Office of Postdoctoral Services has compiled a list of professional development resources, including job listing sites, resume/CV development tips, and work-life balance information. The office also provides individual career counseling (including resume, CV, cover letter, research/teaching statement critiques, and mock interviews) for Postdoctoral Associates and Postdoctoral Scholars. Email Molly Starback, Director, for an appointment.
- Overview of Graduate School Resources
- Duke OPTIONS
- Professional Development for Master’s Students
- Time Management Resources
- Emerging Leaders Institute
- Graduate School and Postdoctoral Services Professional Development Workshop Series and Events
- Postdoctoral Services Professional Development, Social, Family, and Diversity Events
- MyIDP, ImaginePhD, and Versatile PhD
- Online-Based Professional Development Resources
- Duke Advanced Professional Degree (APD) Consulting Club
- Duke Interdisciplinary Social Innovators
- Duke INSPIRE
Duke’s Career Hub is an incredibly valuable resource for graduate students and postdocs, offering a variety of events, career consultations, and other resources. For professional development and networking, you can also connect with alumni via the Duke Alumni Network and Ask a Blue Devil program.
For those interested in employment options during your time at Duke, International House has prepared resources on finding on-campus jobs.