browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

An Ode to Modes (of transportation)

Posted by on August 2, 2022

Over the past six weeks, I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying the finest modes of transportation the country of Costa Rica has to offer. From the twenty five cent public bus rides to the elusive three dollar Ubers, here is a definitive ranking of transportation in CR.

1. Horse Back Riding
    1. Coming hot in first place is one of the best experiences of my life (and Harrison’s as well). In Monetverde, I was able to mount the sturdiest (fattest) and fastest (he was really trying) steed that Equus farms has to offer. Me and my friends were able to go on a two hour trip across two farms to witness the beautiful rolling mountains of the Puntarenas province. Some may say I was channeling my inner horse girl but I prefer the term horse girl summer. This is a must for anyone taking the trip up.
  2. Vespa
    1. Somehow Harrison is always with me when discovering novel modes of transportation but this was one of his best discoveries to date. At our AirBnB in Puerto Viejo,  Harrison discovered Vespa keys behind a dart board and set out on a mission to start a movement. With Harrison, Mckenna, and I on the case- we were able to start the Vespa in a matter of minutes and were quickly running it up and down the driveway. Although fleeting, my moments on the Vespa are some of my fondest transportation moments.
  3. Biking
    1. With a group of 14 people with you, it’s hard to not remember being a kid and riding around your neighborhood with friends. That’s exactly what my biking trip in Puerto Viejo felt like. The whipping of your hair behind you, standing on your pedals, and falling in line- can really transform a moment into something more. It was giving life.
  4. Boating
        1. During our weekend in Tortuguero, Natalia, Vivian and I took many boat rides around the rivers on the eastern coast. While it was not a fantastic river, it was a very cool experience to be driving past so much scenery and who doesn’t like wearing a life jacket. My favorite boat ride was our tour around the national park where we were able to spot howler monkeys, caymans, and too many birds.
  5. Privite Van
    1. Party Bus. Nuff said.
  6. Public Bus
    1. The public bus in San Jose is a hidden gem. Undoubtedly the cheapest form of transportation on this list, and quite possibly one of the most informative. It is so important to know the city in which you’re living and the bus gives you a fantastic opportunity to start recognizing your surroundings while getting you home fairly quickly.
  7. Uber
    1. Really a hit or miss. Although they are super cheap and quick in San Jose, there is no promise of the quality of driver that you will have. One of the first things you realize upon arrival here is that driving an actual car is insanely hard here with the winding and packed roads. Plus, in most of the tourist areas that I’ve visited ubers are sparse and when available are costly
  8. Taxi
    1. Cannot describe how much I don’t recommend taking these. They are likely to price gouge you for any trip because they can. Also, you have to be super careful to make sure you’re taking a licensed taxi so only take the red ones with a printed yellow triangle on the side. Some people will hand paint their triangles so you have to be very cautious with what taxis you decide to take a ride from

Honorable Mention: Walking, Love-Hate relationship here. While it has taken me to some spectacular places that I couldn’t of made it to otherwise, it really sucks in the heat and humidity that you’re in in most beach towns here.

Mia Woodruff