Cross-Sector Invervention Strategies to Target Childhood Food Insecurity in North Carolina

Hurewitz Poster

This poster was submitted and presented at the 2021 AcademyHealth ARM Conference as Student Poster 1182.

Sophie Hurewitz
Sophie Hurewitz is a Duke senior studying Neuroscience, Global Health, and Child Policy Research. At Duke, she is an Alice M. Baldwin Scholar, a Duke Department of Pediatrics Children’s Health & Discovery Initiative Scholar, an advocate through the Duke Disability and Access Initiative, a researcher on the Path for Children’s Complex Care Coalition of North Carolina (Path-4CNC), and a member of a Bass Connections team working to fulfill the goals of the North Carolina Early Childhood Action Plan (NC ECAP). She plans to become a developmental-behavioral pediatrician to combine her interests in clinical medicine, health policy, education policy, and child and adolescent development. This summer, Sophie  continued her work in support of the NC Early Childhood Action Plan through the Margolis Center for Health Policy internship program.

Ask me a question about this poster! Please send me an email.

2 thoughts on “Cross-Sector Invervention Strategies to Target Childhood Food Insecurity in North Carolina”

1. Your research concerning childhood food insecurity was eye-opening and extremely interesting to me. I have a passion for global health which in the US, especially in rural and lower socioeconomic areas which spans the issue of food insecurity. Investigating food insecurity within North Carolina brings the issue much closer to home and learning about what the informants stated was upsetting yet fascinating. Recognizing that the informants came from different backgrounds (government, community, etc.), one of my main questions refers to if people from the same group tended to similar answers to questions or if they had similar solutions for problems you posed. It would be interesting to see if government informants claim that one barrier to childhood food insecurity is more emphasized than what religious informants believe is the main barrier. When reading your community-level and system-level recommendations, I wondered if these have been implemented anywhere else in the United States and if so, what results they garnered. Again, your research was incredibly interesting and startling to me and I hope to hear from you soon.

2. Your research is so detailed and well-founded. I could see how to come from causes to solutions at different levels. It made my day to see such project dedicated to children, who are the future of our world. Thank you so much for this and congratulations.