This opportunity was posted on CULTSTUD-L.
USC’s Annenberg School for Communication is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to join its Media, Activism, Participatory Politics (MAPP) Case Studies Project.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will assume significant responsibility in conducting case study based research for the Project. This research will investigate the continuities between participatory culture and civic engagement. As such, qualified candidates should be aware of current research trends in fan studies, civics, globalization and/or media studies and should be ready to apply that knowledge to the case study research.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will have earned an advanced degree and/or conducted previous qualitative research in one or more of the above listed areas. Successful candidates must be able to work independently and apply knowledge of domestic and international participatory cultures and civic action to the development of innovative models of civic learning and identity. Fluency in one foreign language, especially Spanish, is strongly preferred. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will report to the Project’s Research Director. Required education: PhD or equivalent doctorate within previous three years.
- Serves as a research trainee for the purpose of enhancing and developing research competencies. Participates in planning, designing and conducting highly technical and complex research
- projects under the direction of a supervisor. May or may not work independently.
- Identifies, researches, compiles and evaluates data sources, background information and/or technology related to area of specialization.
- Analyzes and evaluates research data utilizing computers and provides interpretations requiring significant knowledge of a specialized area of research.
- Searches literature, utilizing all available resources including electronic, regarding new methodology and designs experiments accordingly.
- Contributes to the development of research documentation for publication and/or prepares technical reports, papers and/or records.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is. The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
For more information about posted position and application details visit