• Pathology Graduate Program ~ pathology.duke.edu/education/phd-graduate-program
Duke Path Grad Blog

Path PhD Candidate finds giving back and looking forward is rewarding work.

Claire Otero, a third year PhD candidate working in the Permar lab, has been inspiring the next generation of STEM students through her work with the Journal of Emerging Investigators, (JEI).
Claire says, “I am currently working as one of three head copy editors with JEI, which means that I oversee the copy editing process for a portion of the manuscripts that come through the journal. I’ve been so impressed by many of the manuscripts that have come across my desk, covering a wide variety of topics from biology to computational modeling to social science! It has been so rewarding to teach these young authors about professional scientific writing and contribute to their very first manuscript. I have also been able to get more involved in the organization as a member of the diversity and inclusion committee, and I’m planning to help with an upcoming virtual science camp.”
Young scientists preparing to publish their research

Middle School students conducting research to publish in JEI

The Journal of Emerging Investigators is a professional journal for middle- and high-school students and non-profit organization, run primarily by volunteer graduate students and postdocs in STEM. We work to empower aspiring scientists through this experience with the publishing process as well as science education outreach initiatives. In addition to inspiring the next generation of scientists, our volunteers gain valuable experience in peer review and editing and have the opportunity to make connections with peers from institutions across the country.