2020 COTE Summer Institute
Center for Occupational Therapy Education at Duke University
Summer Teaching and Learning Institute
Designing Courses to Convey Occupational Therapy’s Distinct Value using The Subject-centered Integrative Learning Model (SCIL-OT)
June 1-3, 2020
Leaders in occupational therapy have for years charged the profession to revitalize occupation as the center of occupational therapy practice, to uphold the distinct value of the profession. As educators, we take this charge to heart every day in the classroom.
Now there is an educational model to guide course and curriculum designs that challenge students to
- Integrate all curricular topics with knowledge of occupation,
- Develop advanced ways of knowing,
- Engage in interprofessional collaborations,
- See the power of occupation to change lives and systems, and
- Uphold the unique contributions of occupational therapy.
The Subject-centered, Integrative Learning Model for Occupational Therapy (SCIL-OT) is a unique approach to fostering learning about occupational therapy’s core knowledge in all courses. The model is inclusive of experiential learning, problem-based learning, simulation, flipped classrooms, interprofessional education and other instructional methods.
Participants in the COTE Summer Institute will
- Learn and use principles of subject-centered integrative learning to evaluate and (re)design a course and course materials
- Describe the elements, transactions and views of knowledge in the Subject-centered Integrative Learning (SCIL) Model
- Compare and contrast how different views of knowledge and knowledge organization structures produce different approaches to instructional design.
- Evaluate and create learning outcomes, assessments/assignments, activities and content using the Subject-centered Integrative Learning (SCIL) model.
- Explain how the SCIL model supplements generic backward instructional design processes for occupational therapy.
- Apply the SCIL model to curriculum design
The institute will be held on the Duke University School of Medicine Campus in Durham, NC. Duke is home to the famous Duke Chapel and Sarah P Duke Gardens. Durham is a thriving city center with top-ranked restaurants and performing arts. It rests only three hours from the Great Smoky Mountains and three hours from the North Carolina Coast.
Hotel Accommodations: COTE has partnered with Durham Hilton Garden Inn to provide a discounted rate. This hotel is within walking distance of the Institute. Click here to view details.