The Duke Orthopaedics Performance Center Opens September 16, 2013

Duke Orthopaedics is formally launching a new Orthopaedics Performance Center (Duke OPC) on Monday, September 16, 2013. “The center was created so that our clients could have a professional training experience. They get one on one, personalized attention with a coach who focuses on movement diagnostics and performance” said Dr. Robert Butler, DPT, Ph. D., and Director of the Duke OPC.

The center is designed to be a resource for patients who have successfully completed physical therapy (PT) and are seeking additional support, provides an alternative to patients who have exhausted their therapy options, and as well as providing performance enhancement training for all levels of athletes* (athletes = anybody with a human body). The Duke OPC will also serve as a location for professional and tactical athlete movement evaluation from around the world.

“Our clients can come into the center to receive an initial assessment and leave with a training program that they can complete in the center, in their local gym, or at home,” said Butler of the center’s approach on being able to work with each client’s individual needs. This movement based training paradigm is unique in the Triangle area. Similar performance centers have seen great success in other parts of the country (MGH, UCLA, Mayo) and the Duke OPC plans to replicate those successes with the Duke Health System. Every in it’s early stages the Duke OPC has already experienced significant positive responses from their clientele.

“I underwent back to back ACL reconstructive surgeries my sophomore and junior years in high school. I was able to come back to lacrosse my senior year and win a national championship my freshmen year in college at Salisbury University, but I never got back to 100% after my injuries,” said Ryan Lucey, a college-level athlete client of the Duke OPC.

“A lot of the training I was doing was only augmenting strength imbalances I had developed. My trainer, Jason Shutt, has been able to diagnose these imbalances and provide me with corrective exercises,” said Lucey of his evaluation and training program provided by the center. Lucey has been working with his trainer once a week for about a month and can already feel and see great improvement. He hopes to transfer to UNC Chapel Hill next year and with the help of the Duke OPC’s training, land a spot on the university’s lacrosse team.

“We can help clients of any age – businesses, high school students, local sports teams, or the recreational golfer looking to improve their swing. We work with anyone seeking to improve their fitness ability, movement quality or success in returning to sport,” said Butler. The Duke OPC focuses on movement, performance and skill for all clients seeking to improve their personal fitness progress. The center’s offerings include focused attention on golf, running, swimming, return to sport, and general fitness. Each of the primary offerings includes specialized assessments as part of the initial client evaluation and follow up training sessions. Higher level movement assessments utilizing 3D biomechanics models is available for running and golf. The Duke OPC is a cash based performance clinic and does not require insurance authorization.

For more information on the Duke OPC and the center’s pricing, please contact Dr. Robert J. Butler, DPT, PhD
The Duke OPC is located on the second floor of the department’s Page Road location – 4709 Creekstone Drive, Durham