Summer Conversations

As I prepare to leave for New York, I begin the dreaded conversations about what I am doing this summer. It is not the lack of excitement or interest that sparks the apprehension; it is quite the opposite. Working on anti-discrimination trainings has been my passion project throughout my time at Duke. Whether for Duke Athletics or working with the Office of Student Conduct, I have constantly found projects that allow me to try to help make Duke a more equitable and understanding place. No, the apprehension comes from the reactions of others. To me, anti-discrimination trainings are crucial and needed in society; however, the work can seem pointless or worthless to others in my life.

“You are wasting your computer science degree.” “Diversity trainings are a waste of time.” “They [anti-discrimination trainings] will never work.” It is as though this article by Harvard Business Review is haunting me. Hearing these comments chips away at my excitement. I understand that the work I may do this summer may never see the light of day or may not make any impact on the community it is for; however, I hope to gain skills I can bring back to Duke and apply to the projects I am working on there. I want to learn from an established program to see how I can help make other programs more successful in the future. What people fail to see is this summer has nothing to do with my computer science degree or even necessarily with Right To Be, the organization I am working for this summer, this summer is about growing as a person and understanding how I can be a better helper and leader in the communities I live in. This summer, I am here to help Right To Be in any way they deem necessary. It is not about coding or changing the world; it is about learning.

This being said, I am still nervous and unsure what I will do for Right To Be. Though I have a loose understanding of the training they want me to help create — a lesson on what to do when you mess up — I do not know what this exactly entails or what I will be doing to help in its creation. Normally, this uncertainty would make me anxious; however, it fills me with more excitement as I am yet to be confined to one role. It leaves the door open for endless possibilities. I am ready to be assigned a role in the organization and to begin helping them so that they can make a difference. I am ready to learn.

I hold this excitement and desire each time someone asks me what I am doing this summer. It acts as a wall against the negative backlash I receive. As long as we continue living in this society, there will be a need for anti-discrimination trainings. There is no bar that separates anyone from the need for anti-discrimination training, especially as someone going into the world of computer science where white men hold an overwhelming majority of jobs. I know it is an uphill battle and that diversity trainings historically have been ineffective. I know I am not working a tech job in Silicon Valley, but I think this experience will help prepare me for the world in a way that an internship

an image I created as a part of a project for a computer graphics course

or traditional summer job cannot do. And while the ability to create images such as this one to the left is interesting, working in a community to help understand people and their needs rather than behind a computer is something we must to do help fight biases in both the tech field and the computer programs themselves.

As the world becomes more dependent on AI and computers, learning about discrimination and communities is perhaps the most necessary skill. Anyone can code, but few know how to avoid putting their own biases and thoughts into the algorithms. Programs such as facial recognition are notoriously racist and sexist, as described in this article, something which is a reflection of those who coded it. Without effective diversity trainings for people in tech and computer science, the biases will continue to be replicated and spread. I do not think I can change this problem individually as it is a fundamental structure in our society; however, I do believe that having one more person who knows how to have these conversations about diversity in STEM will make an impact.

I am excited about this summer. I am excited to learn. I am excited to prove the comments wrong. We need anti-discrimination trainings to have these conversations and I am ready to gain the skills to have these conversations.