Jumping Right In

As a kid I dreamt of living in New York City. I wanted to experience the city that never sleeps. The bright lights, the massive stores, the artistic energy…NYC was the place to be.

Now, one week into the Moxie program, while I’m loving the city, I must admit the fantasy is starting to wear off… I’ve already learned some vital lessons about the realities of actually living in a big city

1) Getting the Metro card to work on the first try is nearly impossible

2)You will encounter rats, there is no avoiding them

3) Half of your day will be spent waiting for subways

subway

4) Never go to Trader Joe’s at 7pm. You will regret all life decisions

5) Do not go to Times Square unless you have mentally prepared yourself for hell on Earth

(case in point)

6) If you’re in a rush, the train you need WILL be delayed or simply not running

7) Be prepared to be perpetually exhausted.

But when I dreamt of living in the city as a kid, I didn’t imagine that I would actually be spending the majority of each day outside of the heart of city, away from the craziness of Manhattan. And I really, really didn’t expect that this would be my favorite part.

Before starting my internship with Girls for Gender Equity, I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into. I mostly expected to be doing office work, but when my supervisor emailed me and said we’d be Girls_for_Gender_Equity_Logo_300dpi-large“jumping right in,” she really wasn’t kidding. The first day on the job, I was brought to one of the middle schools GGE works with way out in Brooklyn. Everyday since, I’ve spent half of my workday at the schools assisting with the after school program, the Urban Leaders Academy.

The kids I’ve had the chance to meet are fun and goofy and will sing Beyoncé lyrics any chance they get. They have so much energy it almost wears me out just watching them. But, what I’ve really found amazing is how much I can already see the effects GGE has had on them. Just in my first few days I’ve watched these 11 to 13 year olds learn about/reflect on topics like food justice, conflict resolution, gender identities, relationships, and mental health. I even had the chance to interview some of the students, and I’m so impressed with how much GGE has impacted their lives, allowing them to reflect on personal issues, build relationships, and improve their performance in school. ULA also incorporates a peer mentorship program where high school students organize and facilitate a weekly workshop with the middle schoolers. It’s amazing how dedicated the students, mentors, and staff are to the program. I am sad to think that ULA will be ending in just a week and a half when school lets out, but I’m so excited to continue my work with GGE and to hopefully contribute to making this program even more impactful.

So, while living in the big apple might not be exactly the fantasy I’d imagined as a prepubescent teen, I love the city and the work I’m doing and I can’t wait to see what’s in store next!

One thought on “Jumping Right In

1. It sounds like what’s been rewarding about NYC so far is less the opportunity to buy things or access the image of “success” we get in films etc, and more the chance to be a part of a spirited, strong, and creative sense of community. What a nice perspective change in the first week. Any thoughts on where the previous conceptions came from?