The Power of Money

This week we asked students to reflect on the role of money in their own lives, in the organizations in which they have interned, and in the world of non-profits and movement building as a whole. 

Emily is working this summer at Sanctuary for Families, a domestic violence organization in NYC that  provides crisis intervention, emergency and transitional housing, individual and group counseling, job readiness and mentoring programs.
I can’t go a day without thinking about money. Many of the decisions I make on a daily basis are driven by money. Without money I wouldn’t be able to eat, to sleep in a bed, or to attend Duke, among many other things. It’s amazing to me to think that our society has created a culture where something such as money, which at first glance seems meaningless, is valued so highly. Money has become synonymous with power and control. The idea of success, at least to me, has become so intertwined with the possession of money. It’s clear to me that the choices I make surrounding my future career have to take money into account, at least to some extent. Otherwise, how else could I live?

When thinking back on my time growing up, I’ve realized I have been extremely lucky with the lifestyle I am able to lead. I have always lived in a home where my parents could provide me with food every day as well as a loving, supportive environment. I had the privilege of receiving an education and I am now grateful that my parents are continuing my education by funding my college years. I used to take this lifestyle for granted. I had never considered that there are others who aren’t privileged to have the growing environment that I did. This became obvious when I began thinking about social change and the individuals I’m trying to help in my internship this summer. Not everyone has access to resources I have been given, resources otherwise known as money.

I’m sure I have thought about the money as power metaphor before this summer, but our most recent seminar really made me think more deeply about it. To what extent is living in a money-dependent society useful and to what extent is it dangerous. Sure, it provides a system that allows our economy to function efficiently (for the most part), but it also is a limiting factor for me. By that I mean, I’m considering going into a career field such as psychology or social work, which often doesn’t make much money. I want to love what I do, but it’s hard to get rid of that nagging bit about making a living for myself that remains in the back of my mind. I’m sure I would be happy with the work I’m doing, but is it worth compromising having the kind of  lifestyle I have now to go into a field like this?

It’s clear that fields that work toward social change and helping people are needed, but if I have to worry constantly about making enough to eat and having a home, it’s difficult to justify the career choice completely. Perhaps this is why social change is so hard. It takes power and the support of many to create social change. But if money is so closely linked with power in the society we have created, individuals have to have these resources to become involved in a social movement of this scale. When social work is valued less than other more lucrative professions, it makes sense that many individuals would opt to work in a profession that pays more.

I continue to be torn with this issue especially as I approach my senior year. Do I want to pursue a career that I’m passionate about if I have to compromise a comfortable lifestyle? Or do I seek a profession that might reap more monetary benefits in order to take care of things such as my own needs and the needs of my future family, that are important to me? Or am I just completely in the dark about what it takes to live the way I want to? It’s just frustrating and scary, not knowing if I will be able to have both.  I fear it won’t be easy to have both until we change the way our society values work that’s focused on social change such as nonprofits. And that will take money.