I&E 261: Social Innovation

• Status: Completed
  • Description: During Fall 2016, I took a social innovation class. During this course, I participated in the Gumball Challenge, in which my team and I created an innovative fundraising idea to raise money for a micro-finance organization called Kiva. In addition, I researched and wrote papers on social innovators, Malala Yousafzai and Van Jones, as well as critiqued their “theories of change.” For the culminating project, I wrote a paper that qualified for The Global Challenge 2017 competition,  on the issues surrounding mental illness in developing countries.
  • GC Relation: This course taught me how to solve issues from a social entrepreneurship perspective. This is necessary in order to improve urban infrastructure. In addition, through our projects we were able to pursue social entrepreneurship.For instance, my group and I raised over $300 for Kiva. Kiva is an organization that gives loans so that more people can become financially-independent and work – something which will improve urban infrastructure. In addition, since the class raised thousands for the organization, it is great that we were able to help. By focusing on how we can improve our world through social entrepreneurship, this course has truly aligned with my Grand Challenge focus, as the skills I learned can be applied to improve urban infrastructure in developing areas.
  • Start: 08/22/2016
  • End: 12/09/2016
  • Weekly hours: 8
  • Total Hours: 100
  • Supervisor: Matthew Nash
  • Email: matthew.nash@duke.edu

Duke Student Government

• Status: Completed
  • Description: During Fall 2016, I joined Duke Student Government as a Senator of Services. From that point, I have worked to improve our libraries by adding things like FitDesks, free headphones and calculators. In addition, due to the changes in the housing model, I have become particularly interested in those changes. Therefore, throughout my junior year, I have been a Policy Advisor and am working to help build community on our campus.
  • GC Relation: An important aspect of infrastructure also includes social aspects such as community. Therefore, by working on this through DSG and helping to promote housing model changes that also encourage community, I have helped improve infrastructure on a local scale. These ideas and skills have also helped me in my research project, as I will also have to consider the psychological and social components of improving urban infrastructure and during NaTech disasters.
  • Start: 08/22/2016
  • End: 5/1/2018
  • Weekly hours: 5
  • Total Hours: 300