Duke in Madrid

• Status: Completed
  • Description: During the Spring 2018 semester, I will studied abroad in Madrid, Spain. There, I took 2 engineering courses (Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics), as well as a 2-credit Spanish course (equivalent to Spanish 204 and 301). In Spain, I livedwith a host family and taking the courses at a local university, UC3M.
  • GC Relation: Since my Grand Challenge focus is on improving urban infrastructure, I will  have a lot of exposure to older types of infrastructure by being in Europe – some of which have been around for 1000s of years. For instance, a large focus of this program is to go on excursions. Therefore, I will be able to see the aqueducts of Segovia, which has been around for over 2000 years. In addition, I will see Spain’s biking infrastructure as well as architecture from artists like Gaudi. Therefore, by exploring such historical infrastructure throughout Europe will help me tremendously throughout the creation of my thesis as well as in my research study.
  • Start: 01/10/2018
  • End: 06/01/2018
  • Total hours: 300+
  • Supervisor: Eva Barroso
  • Email: eva.barroso@duke.edu

Duke in Geneva

• Status: Completed
  • Description:  During the Summer of 2016, I will be studied abroad in Geneva, Switzerland. There, I took 2 courses: International Business (MMS 390A) and Political Philosophy of Globalization (Econ 303A). I also traveled quite a bit while I studied abroad such as to Paris, Prague, Chamonix, Milan and Berlin.
  • GC Relation: During my time in Switzerland, I was able to learn a lot from a business and international politics perspective. We visited places like the UN, P&G, and WTO. Overall, this experience showed me that politics and business both play a large role in improving infrastructure. For instance, a business may want to improve a particular structural design, but there may also be political setbacks and vice versa. Therefore, it is important to consider all parts of the problem, which was a skill that I worked on during my experience.
  • Start: 07/01/2016
  • End: 08/15/2016
  • Total hours: 300+
  • Supervisor: Martha Reeves
  • Email: martha.reeves@duke.edu