Duke Microbiome Center Seminar Series
2022-2023 Academic Year
Upcoming Seminars – Fall 2022 Semester:.
Previous Seminars – 2022-2023:
- October 17, 2022- Kelly Wrighton, Associate Professor Microbiome Research group located at Colorado State University
- November 21, 2022- Andrew Goodman, Phd C.N.H.Long Professor of Microbial Pathogenesis and Director of Microbial Sciences Institute.
- December 12, 2022- Aayushi Uberoi– Postdoctoral scholar in the lab of Dr. Elizabeth Grice at the University of Pennsylvania.
- January 30, 2023- Daniel Leung MD– Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and Adjunct Associate and Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at the University of Utah
- February 20, 2023- Allison J. Lopatkin, PhD Assistant Professor Computational Biology Department of Biology, Barnard College
- March 20, 2023- Barbara Rehermann-MD NIH Scientific Focus Areas: Clinical Research, Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Virology
- April 17, 2023-Elizabeth P. Ryan, PhD Professor, Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Colorado State University/Colorado School of Public Health
- May 15, 2023-Camila Carlos-Shanley MD Microbiology with emphasis on microbial ecology and genomics at Texas State
Previous Seminars – 2021-2022:
- February 3, 2021: Steven D. Townsend, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University “Prospecting human milk for non-infant uses”
- March 3, 2021: Eric A. Franzosa, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health “New and improved methods for computational profiling of metagenomes”
- April 7, 2021: Sarah Preheim, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Environmental Health and Engineering, Johns Hopkins University “Capturing in situ virus-host range and interaction dynamics in bacterial populations through gene fusion with epicPCR”
- May 5, 2021: Doug Kwon, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard and Director of Clinical Operations at the Ragon Institute of MGH, MIT and Harvard “Vaginal and gut microbiomes in global HIV disease”
- June 2, 2021: Ariangela J. Kozik, Ph.D., Research Fellow, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor “Airway microbial-immune relationships in adult asthma”
- October 18 , 2021 – Ariane L. Peralta, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biology, East Carolina University
- November 15, 2021 – Matthew B. Sullivan, Ph.D., Professor of Microbiology, The Ohio State University
- December 20, 2021 – Jason Ridlon, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- January 31, 2022 – Elizabeth Johnson, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Molecular Nutrition, Cornell University
- February 21, 2022 – Gilberto E. Flores, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biology, California State University, Northridge
- March 21, 2022 – Meghan Azad, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba
- April 18, 2022 – Anthony D. Sung, Associate Professor of Medicine – Duke and Paul Wischmeyer, Anesthesiologist Critical Care Specialist
- May 16, 2022 – Tessa Andermann, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Weekly Chalk-talk style presentation coupled with a catered breakfast.
Trainees, Faculty, and Staff will have opportunities to present their work and/or ideas in a casual setting.
This program is aimed at providing additional presentation experience to researchers entering job market, and to help develop interdepartmental collaborative ties.
Events will be taking place in room 1125 MSRB3 on Wednesday mornings.
Monthly event focused on providing DMC researchers insights into the entrepreneurial nature of microbiome research in the Triangle area. Monthly speakers will include leaders of microbiome startups, experts in venture capital, translation, intellectual property, licensing, and launching ventures.
Events are currently scheduled for the last Thursday of each month at 4pm-5pm in MSRB 001.
DMC Research-in-Progress Talks
2021-2022 Academic Year
Previous DMC Research-In-Progress Talks
- October 4, 2021 – Marc Deshusses and Marina Blanco & Lydia Greene
- November 1, 2021 – Diego Bohórquez and Christopher Donnelly/Ru-Rong Ji
- December 6, 2021 – Dustin Middleton and Matthew Kelly & Alex McCumber
- January 3, 2022 – Jay Jawahar and Matthew Tillman
- February 7, 2022 – Elizabeth Hughes and Pixu Shi
- March 7, 2022 – Chin Yee Tan and Meta Kuehn
- April 4, 2022 – Zeni Ramirez and Katherine Mueller
- May 2, 2022 – Ken Yokoyama and Anders Dohlman
- June 6, 2022 – Lawrence David & Sarah Armstrong and Jillian Hurst, PhD
Other Seminar Series
- Duke Tuesday Seminar Series
- Duke Thursday Seminar Series
- Duke Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Seminar Series
- Duke Gastronauts Seminar Series