EGRMGMT 576: Design Thinking and Innovation

Please be advised: the information contained on this page is a general overview of the course. As course information is subject to change from one semester to another, please check DukeHub for the most accurate and up-to-date information about EGRMGMT courses.

At a Glance

• Instructor(s): Kathie Amato
  • Semester(s) typically taught: Fall, occasionally Spring
  • Last taught: Spring 2022
  • Units: 3.0
  • Grading scale: Graded (A-F)
  • Required or elective for MEM degree? Elective
  • If elective, applicable elective track(s): Customer Experience and Product Design, Entrepreneurship, Product Management, Technology Development and Commercialization
  • Pre-requisites: n/a
  • Recommended previous courses: n/a

Course Description/Synopsis (from DukeHub) 

Success of established companies and entrepreneurial ventures depends on their ability to identify customer needs and develop products and services to meet these needs effectively. A disciplined design thinking process leads to successful innovations, particularly with regard to value creation and market impact. Starting with an understanding of empathy, ethnography, and interviewing, moving on to the iterative process of defining, ideating, prototyping, and testing, and then developing final designs, this course allows students to develop a deep set of skills in design thinking and innovation and includes current approaches such as agile development, bio-design, and lean startup.

Course Syllabus (Previous)
Design Thinking and Innovation Syllabus Fall 2023

A Class Sample

A Word From the Faculty

Student Testimonials (from Course Evaluations)

• “Absolutely loved the course. As mentioned in the introduction video, the course really went from start to end about the entire Design Thinking Process. The assignments aligned perfectly with our learnings and I am ending the course feeling much more confident about Design Thinking. Now, I know this a path I definitely want to pursue.”
  • “This course has helped me understand customer/client mindsets, how the world works in the jobs to be done, pains and gains manner, etc. I’ve changed my perspective towards identifying problems in the jobs to be done framework rather than just seeing it as a problem. Having gone through this course has changed my mindset towards user problems and I believe Prof Kathie brings the best out of every student in class.”
  • “All parts which involved discussion in teams and use of post-its were most important to me. I felt like actually doing the work – was a lot more beneficial than just understanding theoretical concepts.Prioritization techniques have probably been one of the most useful things I have learnt in class and I apply these to my day to choices as well.”
  • “Design thinking and Innovation is a ‘toolkit’ more than a course that helped me become more empathetic and mindful in general. It also helped me curb the urge to jump to solutions as soon as I came across the problem. With that in mind, DTI is a must-have course for people in any background.”

Previous Course Evaluations

Resource site for Duke MEM students