With the increasing number of COVID-19 cases, I wanted to provide a brief summary as a reminder of the steps Duke is taking to help provide a safe campus environment for our students, faculty and staff in the midst of a pandemic.
- All faculty, staff and students are required to have vaccinations unless given an approved medical or religious exemption
- All students must complete an entry test for COVID-19 prior to coming to campus
- All students will surveillance test at least weekly to monitor their COVID-19 status
- Students who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to isolate until cleared by a Duke clinician
- Everyone is required to wear a mask when inside
- Hand sanitizers are located throughout Duke buildings
I also want to mention that Duke provides a weekly update on the number of positive COVID-19 individuals identified each week at coronavirus.duke.edu/covid-testing. Duke’s infection rate is significantly below the infection rate of the general population.
In addition to regularly checking your email, you can find Duke’s communications to the community about the current situation posted online at coronavirus.duke.edu/updates/community-messages. In reviewing these messages, you will note that Duke has taken action, such as closing facilities or asking certain programs to shelter in place, when there is an increase in cases. I am confident that Duke will continue to actively monitor and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic to keep our community safe.
The purpose of this e-mail was to reiterate all that Duke is doing to help keep you safe. I would be remiss if I did not remind you to do your part to keep our community safe by adhering to university guidelines such as handwashing, masking and testing.
To keep up to date on all that Duke is doing to keep our community safe and healthy, please see the Duke United website: returnto.duke.edu. We are looking forward to a great semester and appreciate your flexibility and patience as we all navigate the next phase of COVID-19 together.
Brad Fox, Ph.D.
Associate Dean, Masters Programs