Yasaman Baghban

Premiere April 7 at 7pm
Nasher Museum of Art Auditorium

Encore April 15 at 3pm
Ruby Film Theater

…Travel of the body in the line of time
Impregnating the barren line of time
A body aware of the image
Returning from a feast in a mirror …

(Forough Farokhzad, Another Birth, translated by Mehdi
Khorrami and Shouleh Vatanabadi)

(My) Heterotopia as (a) Woman is a film about the eternal otherness experienced by women, whether they be citizens or foreigners. Years of oppression of basic rights have elicited rage and shame and, paradoxically, courage and power. So, my character became a dichotomy. Sometimes as a woman, I shouted silently by breaking the rules and taboos. However, I did not give up, and like so many of my friends, I crossed the borders to pursue independence. We all are aware of the fact that the wounds inflicted on this path will never be healed… As I got older, I realized the feeling of incarceration grew up with me. Imagine the fidgeting woman in a cell constantly asking, “why don’t I deserve genuine freedom?”

In this journey, memories have always acted as a double- edged sword, not only memories but also dreams. They continually transport me between parallel universes. This film portrays my perception of those universes

*April 7 attendee RSVPs encouraged via Eventbrite

Yasaman Baghban is an Iranian documentary and experimental filmmaker. Her work often revolves around human
rights, socio-political issues, and personal narratives to amplify the voices of underrepresented groups, particularly women, and explore the themes of memory and the archive.