- Duke University, Durham, NC, Graduate Program in Religion; Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Track.
- Dissertation: The Life of the World: The Vitality and Personhood of Non-Animal Nature in the Hebrew Bible
- Committee: Ellen F. Davis (chair), Stephen Chapman, Anathea Portier-Young, Jennie Grillo, Barbara Rossing
- Duke University, Durham, NC, Graduate Program in Religion; Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Track
2009 Master of Religion
- Wycliffe College, Toronto School of Theology, Toronto, ON
- Thesis: Turn Us Again, O God of Hosts: A Comparison of Two Readings of Psalm 80
- University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Art and Art History; Political Science
- Sheridan College, Oakville, ON, Art and Art History
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Hebrew Bible/Old Testament; The Bible and Ecology; The Bible and Art; Feminist Interpretation.
- Ancient: Hebrew; Aramaic; Koine Greek
- Modern Fluent: Norwegian; English
- Reading for research: German; French
- The Hebrew Bible and Environmental Ethics: Humans, Non-Humans, and the Living Landscape. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2019.
- “Sing Us the Songs of Zion: Land, Culture, and Resistance in Psalm 137, 12 Years a Slave, and Cedar Man,” Horizons in Biblical Theology 40, no. 1 (2018).
- “The Ground that Opened its Mouth: The Ground’s Response to Human Violence in Genesis 4,” Journal of Biblical Literature 135, no. 4 (2016).
- “As For You, Do not Pray on Behalf of This People: Intercession, Deception and Shalom in the Book of Jeremiah,” Theology, 119, no. 5 (September/October 2016).
- “When God Was a Bird” Journal for the Study of Religion, Nature & Culture (forthcoming)
- “Blue Planet, Blue God: The Bible and the Sea,” Reading Religion, January 30, 2018.
- “Richard Middleton’s A New Heaven and a New Earth: Reclaiming Biblical Eschatology,” Pro Ecclesia, 25, no. 3 (2016).
- “Parables and Conflict in the Hebrew Bible,” The Journal of Hebrew Scriptures, no. 13 (2013).
- “Flora and Fauna of the Hebrew Bible.” In Oxford Bibliographies in Biblical Studies. Ed. Christopher Matthews. New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- “Birgitta of Sweden” in Marion Taylor and Agnes Choi (eds.), Handbook of Women Biblical Interpreters. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic Press, 2012.
- “Ann Docwra” in Marion Taylor and Agnes Choi (eds.), Handbook of Women Biblical Interpreters. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic Press, 2012.
- “Kenan Insider,” monthly column
- “Dissertation Spotlight: Mari Jørstad,” Ancient Jew Review (May 2018).
- “Teaching the Bible with Digital Scholarship” (video, 2017)
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS AND TALKS
- “A History of Environmental Thought in Biblical Studies,” Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Duke University, 2020.
- “Foreign Wives,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2019.
- “A Story of Trees,” keynote speaker at the Messiah Festival, Bethany College, Lindsborg, 2018.
- “Sing Us One of the Songs of Zion: Violence Against Children as Protest Language in Psalm 137,” Southeastern Commission for the Study of Religion, Raleigh, 2017.
- “Talking about The Life of Non-Animal Nature in the Hebrew Bible: Personification, Mythology, Metaphor, and Animism,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, San Antonio, 2016.
- “Until This day: The Land as a Theological Resource in the Book of Joshua,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Atlanta, 2015.
- “As For You, Do Not Pray on Behalf of This People: Intercession, Deception and Shalom in the Book of Jeremiah,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2014.
- “The Ground that Opened Its Mouth: The Moral Integrity of the Ground in the Story of Cain and Abel,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Baltimore, 2013.
TEACHING AND APPOINTMENTS
- 2019: Telling Time in a Hectic Age, Duke University
- 2018: Living and Dying in Ecclesiastes, Vancouver School of Theology
- 2015-2017: Introduction to Biblical Hebrew, Duke Divinity School
- 2014-2017: Hebrew Reading, Duke Divinity School
- 2018-2020: Team Kenan, Extra-Curricular Ethics Programming for Undergraduates, Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University
- 2018: Project Change, Kenan Institute for Ethics Pre-Orientation Program for First Year Students, Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University
- 2016-2017: Writing Tutor, The Center for Theological Writing, Duke Divinity School
- 2014-2015: Introduction to Old Testament Interpretation, with Ellen Davis and Jennie Grillo, Duke Divinity School
- 2013-2014: Introduction to Old Testament Interpretation, with Anathea Portier-Young, Duke Divinity School
- 2013: Introduction to the New Testament, with Kavin Rowe, Duke Divinity School
- 2012: The Old Testament/Hebrew Bible, with Carol Meyers, Department of Religious Studies, Duke University
- 2012-2016: Certificate of College Teaching, Graduate School, Duke University, including the following courses:
- College Teaching and Visual Communication (Spring 2016)
- Online College Teaching (Spring 2015)
- Teaching Triangles Peer Observation (Fall 2014)
- Fundamentals of College Teaching (Fall 2012)
- 2016: Implicit Bias Training, Duke University
- 2015: Efficient and Effective Feedback for Student Writing, Thompson Writing Program, Duke University
- 2014: The Lively Lecture, Panel Discussion, Graduate Department of Religion, Duke University
- 2005-2006: Peer Academic Leader, University of Toronto at Mississauga
RESEARCH AND ADMINISTRATION
- 2017-2020: Research Associate, “Facing the Anthropocene,” Kenan Institute for Ethics, Henry Luce-funded grant led by Norman Wirzba and Jedediah Purdy
- 2015-2016: Graduate Assistant, Women Faculty Caucus and Network, Duke University
- 2014: Student Assistant, William Gedney Collection, Rubenstein Rare Books and Manuscript Library, Duke University
- 2013: Research Assistant to Lauren Winner, Duke Divinity School
- 2011-2012: Research Assistant to Anathea Portier-Young, Duke Divinity School
- 2010: Administrative Assistant, Ontario Investment and Trade Center
- 2009-2010: Program Assistant, Wycliffe College, University of Toronto
- 2008-2010: Editorial Assistant, Pro Ecclesia
- 2008: Research Assistant to Catherine Higgs, University of Tennessee
- 2016-2020: Writing and Academic Work English Working Group, English Department, Duke University
- 2016, 2018: Young Scholars Workshop: Literature, Philosophy, Ethics, Center for Philosophy, Art, and Literature, Duke University
- 2014-2015: Writing Is Thinking Young Scholars Workshop, Center for Philosophy, Art, and Literature, Duke University
- 2014-2016: Graduate Student Writing Groups, Center for Philosophy, Art, and Literature, Duke University
- 2011-2013: Responsible Conduct for Research, Duke Graduate School
- 2017-2018: Convener, The Kenan Institute for Ethics Postdoctoral Working Group, Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University
- 2016-2017: International House Liaison, General Assembly, Graduate and Professional Student Council, Duke University
- 2016-2017: Department Representative, General Assembly, Graduate and Professional Student Council, Duke University
- 2014: Panel Participant, Panel for Cultural Cultural Values Intercultural Skills Development Program Duke University
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Society of Old Testament Studies
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
- 2016: Fellow, PhD Lab in Digital Knowledge, John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute, Duke University
- 2015: Conference Travel Grant, Duke University
- 2015: Kearns Summer Fellowship, Duke University
- 2014: Conference Travel Grant, Duke University
- 2011: Fellow, Norway-America Association
- 2009: The Parker Prize for Highest Standing in the Final Year, Wycliffe College
- 2009: The Old Testament Prize, Wycliffe College
- 2009: The Fourth Bishop of Toronto Prize for Hebrew, Wycliffe College
- 2006: The Gordon Cressy Student Leadership Award, University of Toronto
- 2002: University of Toronto Scholar Program, University of Toronto
- 2002: University of Toronto at Mississauga Scholar Program, University of Toronto at Mississauga
This CV was updated on January 15, 2020.