What is a vision?

What is a vision?

Typically when we ask what your vision is we are talking about your sight. We want to know if you have perfect vision 20/20. However, from the environmental standpoint we are asking about your goals. What do you see the future of this planet looking like? Will there be cars? Will they run on fossil fuels?ect. What got me thinking in class was the concept of “back casting”.

I have learned that I am a no different from “Uncle Joe.” Apparently I am self centered because my vision of the future is only about my personal goals. I see myself married and with kids, a lovely wife, and a career in orthopedic surgery. I have thought of all the steps that I need to take to achieve my goals. I have mapped out what classes that I needed to take from freshman year. However, I did not think of the things around me. Will I be driving a normal car or will technology have implemented the use of solar cells so that my car is self sufficient? Another point is how will my field change if the environment changes? If there are more natural disasters like more frequent hurricanes will I need to do more broken bone repairs instead of helping replace old peoples hips? My vision of how life will be for me is changing. I need to adapt my vision to my surroundings and everything that will impact my normal life. Most  importantly the environment. It is no longer about only me, my back cast will incorporate every aspect of the changing future. The scary part is that the future is the future and nothing can fully be predicted.

dreamstime.com