Blog 5 – Kevin Bhimani

Computer in the Anthropocene

I am a computer living in the year 2217. My owner Kevin used me today to see whether it was ok to go outside as the air quality has been exceptionally poor recently. I recommended not to go just to be safe. However, at the very least he will have to go outside for a second to put me in the sun to charge. It’s the only source of power nowadays as the fossil fuels of old are a distant past. Later, he turns me back on to hang out with his friends. The idea of driving over and hanging out in person at a bar or someone’s house is no longer feasible as electric and solar powered cars have become far to expensive to own in the new global climate. He does this everyday, as the only representation and interaction people now have is the holographic images I portray of them across the internet. It is a fascinating life, far different from what people used me for hundreds of years ago to aimlessly watch videos, play games, keep informed on the current news, and more. Times were simple then, but for rather different reasons, they are even more so now.