Your voice: Shawn Burrow

Shawn Burrow, a nurse practitioner from Virginia, stopped by the Voices of Duke Health mobile recording cart to explain the relief she felt when she brought her son, Rowan, to Duke Health.

Transcript

My name is Shawn Burrow. I’m a nurse practitioner from the Richmond, Virginia area.

I want to answer, “For what do you feel the most grateful?”

I am most grateful that we were able to find a team at Duke Children’s Hospital that saved our son’s life.

After over a year of wondering why neurologically it seemed like we had lost our son, they were able to find the diagnosis very quickly in a matter of six weeks and initiate treatment that literally saved our son’s life. And without the team here, I don’t know where we’d be.

It’s been a long 18 months, often having to drive back and forth, once a week, 250 miles round trip. But I would do it every day if it meant one more day with our son, Rowan.

So thank you to all of you, from environmental services, to the nurses, to the doctors, to the food court workers, to the Team of Life Flight. Everyone has been so kind and I just can’t be any more appreciative.

Thank you.

Published by Anton Zuiker

Communications Director for the Duke Department of Medicine, longtime blogger and leader of BlogTogether, and co-founder of ScienceOnline.