Summer Fellows

LEAPS Summer Fellows

a summer funding opportunity for service-learning students

Expand a project you started with a community partner in Durham, or work on a thematically related project in a location of your choice— from your hometown to a destination abroad!

Fellowship Goals

This fellowship offers students the opportunity to build upon their experiences in a service-learning setting and expand their projects, ideas and skills beyond a service-learning course. Fellows will have a chance to make an impact at their site and reflect on their experiences in the same manner cultivated by service-learning courses.

Eligibility

All first-years, sophomore, and junior Duke undergraduate students in good standing may apply. Applicants must have taken or be currently enrolled in at least one service-learning course. Graduating seniors are not eligible. Students may receive funding from other sources in addition to this grant.

Congratulations to our 2015 Summer Fellows: Rinchen Dolma and Julia Dunn

2015 Application is now closed:

Check back next year for the 2016 app!

Contact Jeff Feng with questions at jlf48@duke.edu

Our 2013 Summer Fellows were Nonie Arora and Leah Mische.

Our 2014 Summer Fellows were Robinson Ford and Erica Ortiz

Julia Dunn- 2015

Service learning goes beyond just providing service and learning. Service learning allows for me to create tangible action items and goals in a classroom that meet a community’s needs, and to put these academic principles into practice to meet specific needs of a voiceless community. I really appreciate putting my activism into practice, …

View page »

Rinchen Dolma- 2015

Rinchen Dolma is a rising senior at Duke University double majoring in International Comparative Studies (ICS) and Asian Middle Eastern Studies and pursuing a certificate in Documentary studies. She is a passionate nature photographer and also very interested in social innovations. As a student, passionate leader and a person who firmly believes in humanity, I …

View page »

Erica Ortiz- 2014

Service learning has been a stimulating and innovative approach to learning. Through this method of application, I have been able to integrate “lesson plans” into meaningful service engagement in the Durham community. Classroom instruction is necessary for the student to be well informed about all issues concerning a population in order to provide beneficial and …

View page »

Robinson Ford- 2014

I see service learning as the perfect opportunity to supplement a classroom education with valuable real-world experience that can not only serve to improve a community, but also aid the growth of the individual themselves. Learning in a classroom can never substitute the experience of actually going and accomplishing something physical. Too often I feel …

View page »

Leah Mische- 2013

As a consequence of two Service-Learning courses I have taken, “Health, Culture and the Latino Community” and “Global Health Ethics,” I am able to apply the important link between academic knowledge and service work.  For example, the Spanish service learning course in particular exposed me directly to the community organization Durham Crisis Response Center which …

View page »

Nonie Arora- 2013

I’m Nonie, a rising junior A.B. Duke scholar from Novi, MI studying biology and genome sciences & policy. While it’s hard to believe that two years of college have already gone by, I am very enthusiastic about being a LEAPS fellow this summer. I enjoy learning about medicine, ethics, and health policy, and my …

View page »