DukeEngage in Orange County, California

• Description: This DukeEngage program promotes women empowerment through education. I worked with a team of 7 other students from Duke at Eureka! STEM summer camp for girls from grades 7-10. The majority of these girls are underrepresented minorities whose families make less than $30 000 annually. As well as serving as mentors and teachers to these girls, my DukeEngage team designed immersive and engaging STEM lesson plans to implement (all with the theme of water/sanitation). My specific lesson plan was on water scarcity and treatment processes. Working at this camp and interacting with the girls made me think about poverty, homelessness, love, and empowerment in a new way, which is important in understanding the relation between science, engineering, and its impact on society.
  • Relation to GC Focus: I designed and implemented a lesson plan on water scarcity and treatment technologies/processes in an engaging, informative way. By informing the next generation of change makers on this pressing problem, future research and action is inspired. Additionally, deeper understanding into socioeconomic issues is important as it is often poorer communities that are affected first by water scarcity and distribution issues.
  • Supervisor: Marlee Krieger
  • Start Date: 06/14/2019
  • End Date: 08/09/2019
  • Total Hours: approx. 360 (45 hours per week for 8 weeks)

My students designed their own wastewater treatment system! We used aeration, coagulation, sedimentation, and filtration to treat the dirty water.