Research

My research interests focus on how animals navigate and orient. Specifically, I am interested in exploring long-distance migrators’ magnetic sensory system using computational and statistical methods. Click the links below to learn more!

A Gray Whale stranding. Whale strandings provide valuable data that can help us better understand animal navigation.

Magnetoreception and Whale Strandings

Here I use statistical analyses to better understand magnetic navigation and behavior in the ocean by examining the patterns of whale strandings. Click the link above or in the image to learn more!

The inclination angle of the earth’s magnetic field, shown here, varies predictable North-South and could help an animal determine their location.

Inclination Compass

Here I use computational modeling techniques to better understand how animals might use an inclination compass to migrate. Click the link above or in the image to learn more!

An example of electromagnetic radiation absorption and reflection from the earth’s atmosphere. Click the image to learn more.

Radio-Frequency Electromagnetic Noise

In a synthetic review, I examine environmental sources of RF and the ways in which it could disrupt magnetic orientation behavior. Click the link above or in the image to learn more!

Many animals travel in groups which may serve a navigational function. Click the image to learn more.

Collaborative Navigation

Here I explore how animals might use collaborative navigation, by traveling in a group, to overcome the noisiness of the magnetic modality. Click the link above or in the image to learn more!