Dear fellow visitors,
This is a site dedicated to Edogawa Rampo 江戸川乱歩 (1894-1965), the pioneer of Japanese detective fiction. Whether you are a Japanese history enthusiastic, a crime fiction lover, or just randomly come by, hope you will gain interesting insights and, ideally, want to read Rampo's stories! (I promise will compile a list of recommend reads later;)))))
Here you can find timelines, book lists, and short pieces of writing to help you contextualize and familiarize with the historical period (early to mid-20th century), representative writers of detective fiction (both Western and Japanese), the literary circles and key debates surrounding the detective fiction genre.
The site is still under construction, and new materials will be added later on.
Please use the Menu bar to explore more!
- Historical Overview: Japanese Detective Fiction
- Who is Edogawa Rampo?
- Intro: Rampo and The Prewar Discourse
- Rampo’s Fictional Works (List ver.) [in English]
- Rampo’s Fictional Works (List ver.) [in Japanese, Raw] (with corresponding English & Chinese translations)
- Rampo’s Fictional Works (Timeline ver.)
- Timeline: Rampo and the Prewar Discourse of the Detective Fiction Genre