Writing 101: Monkey mind reading: Exploring primate psychology

Description:
This course provided an introduction to academic writing for cognitive and behavioral sciences. In addition to training students to communicate professionally through formal writing, this course also trained students to analyze peer-reviewed literature critically and engage them by formulating research questions and experimental designs.
Relation to Grand Challenge: 
This course me allowed me to learn to engage in academic literature in a stem field, which is useful for understanding areas that can be investigated for neuroscience and neuro-engineering. The experimental design will also benefit me in the future in implementing methods for answering my research questions about neuroscience.
Date: Spring, 2017
Instructor: Dr. Lindsey Smith
Hours: 110

Sociology 110: Sociological Inquiry

Description:
This course provided a foundation in core sociological concepts, including the sociological impact of technology on social interaction and well as the interaction between social construction of individual characteristics with health, income, and education.
Relation to Grand Challenge:
This course gave me a better understanding of technology beyond the scope of their physical mechanism. The ability to anticipate the social effects of technology will be useful for implementing solutions for neurological disorders without inflicting emergent, negative consequences. In addition, understanding the effects of social variables on technology will also allow me to design more effective solutions for neurological disorders.
Date: Fall, 2016
Instruction: Dr. Christopher Bail
Hours: 110

Sociology 257: Mental Health

Description:
This course focused on a sociological approach to understanding mental disorders, by examining the effects of social conditions on the development and consequences of mental disorders, treatments, and policies. In addition, the course also explored how the definition of mental illness changed over time and how the shift towards medicalization created different ethical problems with relation to mental disorders. The course concluded with potential public health options for improving mental wellbeing in the United States.
Relation to Grand Challenge:
Extended research in psychiatry has brought about the notion that mental disorders is predominantly mediated through neurological mechanisms. However, the sociological approach will allow me to gain a more holistic view of psychiatric disorders so that I can investigate them without being confounded by social variable and so that I can implement solutions more effectively by considering the social causes and effects of mental disorders.
Date: Spring, 2019
Instructor: Dr. Jenifer Hamil-Luker
Hours: 110