Deadline: November 1, 2021
Bass Connections is now accepting proposals for 2022-2023 projects that engage faculty, undergraduates and graduate/professional students in the interdisciplinary exploration of complex societal challenges. Please see the project proposal guidelines. The deadline to propose a project is November 1 at 5:00 p.m.
Projects may be proposed in relation to one or more of the five, broad interdisciplinary themes of Bass Connections, or to Bass Connections Open – a channel that invites proposals that align with the model of Bass Connections but otherwise fall outside the parameters of the existing themes.
This year, we have a new theme, Race & Society, that will support interdisciplinary teams of faculty and students in their exploration of race-related issues. In 2022-2023, we also particularly encourage projects across all themes that display the range of ways in which different forms of art intersect with how we understand, convey and engage with societal challenges.
- Brain & Society
- Energy & Environment
- Global Health (including U.S. health disparities)
- Information, Society & Culture
- Race & Society (new for 2022-2023)
- Bass Connections Open
Bring Your Questions to Drop-in Office Hours
Interested faculty, particularly those who have never led a Bass Connections team, are encouraged to contact a Bass Connections theme leader or Laura Howes, director of Bass Connections. Faculty can also discuss potential ideas or ask questions during our drop-in office hours (https://duke.zoom.us/j/96763627470):
- Friday, September 10, 10:00-11:00
- Friday, September 24, 10:00-11:00
- Friday, October 8, 9:00-10:00
- Friday, October 22, 11:00-12:00
Special Opportunities for 2022-2023
When completing a proposal, faculty may choose to take advantage of the following opportunities. Please note that applying for these opportunities will not increase your project budget, but rather may increase the likelihood that your project will be selected by allowing us to leverage funds designated for a specific purpose.
- Joint proposals for a Bass Connections project and a Summer 2022 Data+ and/or Story+ project (You may propose a Data+ or Story+ summer project linked to a year-long Bass Connections project through the Bass Connections RFP. You do not need to complete a separate application for Data+/Story+. Please contact Paul Bendich or Gregory Herschlag with questions about Data+ and Amanda Starling Gould with questions about Story+.)
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Humanities & Digital Humanities