Deadline: December 4, 2020
Bass Connections is now accepting proposals for 2021-2022 projects that engage faculty, undergraduates and graduate/professional students in the interdisciplinary exploration of complex societal challenges. Please see the project proposal guidelines.
The deadline to propose a project is December 4 at 5:00 p.m.
Projects may be proposed in relation to one or more of the five, broad interdisciplinary themes of Bass Connections, or to Bass Connections Open – a channel that invites proposals that align with the model of Bass Connections but otherwise fall outside the parameters of the existing themes. This year, we particularly welcome and encourage projects – proposed to any theme – focused on racial injustice and inequality, systemic racism and social justice. Themes include:
- Brain & Society
- Education & Human Development
- Energy & Environment
- Global Health (including U.S. health disparities)
- Information, Society & Culture
- Bass Connections Open
Bring Your Questions to Drop-in Office Hours
Interested faculty, particularly those who have never led a Bass Connections team, are encouraged to contact a Bass Connections theme leader or Laura Howes, Director of Bass Connections. This year, faculty can also discuss potential ideas or ask questions during our Zoom office hours on:
- September 18 from 1:00-2:00 (drop-in at any time): https://duke.zoom.us/j/91922908771
- October 2 from 11:00-12:00 (drop-in at any time): https://duke.zoom.us/j/96510739177
Special Opportunities for 2021-2022
When completing a proposal, faculty may choose to take advantage of the following opportunities. Please note that applying for these opportunities will not increase your project budget, but rather may increase the likelihood that your project will be selected by allowing us to leverage funds designated for a specific purpose. For more information on each opportunity, please see the full project proposal guidelines.
- Joint proposal for a Bass Connections project and Summer 2021 Data+ project (You may propose a Data+ project linked to a year-long Bass Connections project through the Bass Connections RFP – you do not need to complete a separate application for Data+. However, to align with the Data+ timeline, you must submit your proposal by November 2. We also encourage faculty to link year-long Bass Connections projects to Story+. Faculty wishing to apply to Story+ must also complete the Story+ RFP, also due December 4.)
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Read the 2021-2022 project proposal guidelines.
- See sample proposals, explore the 2020-2021 Bass Connections projects and browse faculty perspectives from those who have led Bass Connections projects.
- Read the Bass Connections 2019-2020 Annual Report.